Dodgy xenon bulbs??

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Evening everyone

Purchased new 6k D2S xenon bulbs recently. When i turned them on the driver side bulb flickered and went off. After flicking the headlight switch on and off about 20 times the bulb looked like it was staying on for longer (as if it was warming up or something) and then finally stayed on! Just to note, i turned the lights off again, put them on, and came on straight away.

So i returned them thinking the bulb was dodgy and went to another Ebayer and got bulbs from there instead. Now i have the same problem again but with both bulbs!!

I put my standard original ones back in and they turned on straight away no hassle!

So i'm thinking... could they be dodgy bulbs? I got them from Ebay for £20 a pair. Yes i know it's Ebay after all, but is my luck just really crap with these at the moment!?

Thanks people, hope you're well.

Jay

I find that in the cold weather I sometimes only get one xenon powering up, while the other takes a few tries. I always assumed it was a glitch with the ballast, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah i get what you're saying as i thought the same thing too. But the fact my original bulbs work straight away has just puzzled me!

Same here exactly same happened with me... Dodgy bulb, had to send it back for another one!

I find that in the cold weather I sometimes only get one xenon powering up, while the other takes a few tries. I always assumed it was a glitch with the ballast, but maybe I'm wrong.

I recently fitted some aftermarket HID's to mine, and I get this exact same issue in the extreme cold.

the drivers side always fires first time, but the passnegers side sometimes needs the lights switching off then on again for it to fire.

Fran-S3: What happened when you got the new bulb? Did it work fine then?

I have found a temporary fix for this problem and working fine with me since yesterday. Turn the lights on and leave them on. The 'no bulb' picture will appear on your dash with a loud beep but ignore this and just leave them on for around 20 seconds. Turn the switch off and turn them on again and they work! Try it out, works for me fine!

I'm gonna get new bulbs anyway but at least my lights come on quicker this way and i won't end up breaking my switch with all that turning!

Jay