LAZY temperature needle !!!!

boostboy

Reaction score
merry xmas and glad tidings to you all

How come lads my temp needle takes ages to go up on the cluster and when it finally goes up a little i switch on the heater and it goes down again and after a good 10-15 mins at least and a good long run it stays levels up and its fine ,

not the end of the world i know but can admit makes life a little colder i drive it with the heaters off for 3-4 miles and it still doesnt go up ! it starts to rise on mile 4 then it levels off

could this be the temp sensor , i have recently replaced the thermostat
any ideas guys ??

thanks in advance

Mine does this. Had the thermostat checked and its ok, had the water pump replaced with the timing belt in september so was told not too worry about it. Runs ok and heats up fine (judging by heat through heater).

Sometimes fails completely for a while and then comes back to life.

Been advised it might be the sender unit and the engine is actually keeping good temperature. Not in a rush to get it fixed yet as I can live with it..

cheers!

I am having a similar prob with mine too takes a good 15 min or longer to get up to temperature, must be the cold weather and the 6 am drives! Although last winter i cant say i noticed it taking so long to get up to temp, thank god for the heated seats :)

Will be the temp sender, and you should get it fixed as it doesn't just send the temp to the gauge, it feeds the info to the ECU which adjusts the timing & fuel/air mix accordingly. So it's not good for the engine or your fuel consumption to be permanently running in it's cold cycle.

I would say tired thermostat. it seems water circulates before the engine reaches optimum temp. 90C

cheers guys well im gna have a bash and get the temp sender replaced where can i purchase this ,ebay gsf?

Go to GSF and get one.

Its an easy job, pull the old one out and pop the new one in. Mines on a hose under the engine cover on the right of the engine...between the block and the airbox if that makes sense.

Do it when the engines cold as some coolant will come out. If you're quick swapping the new one in you just have to top up the coolant a little bit after.

Its easy, in fact its a 1 out of 10 on the hard scale.

T

You definately need OEM so GSF or dealer (£20 from dealer). Don't buy a cheap version off ebay!

is it in the same place on the S3....my temp guage barely moves...but the heaters heat up ok. if its just the sender, i will change that and go from there

i just got myself a new temp sender fron AVS its was around the £5 mark but is made by Febi/bilstein will it be any good?

JUST GOT A NEW UPDATED GREEN TEMP SENSOR NO JOY ATILL TAKES FOREVER for temp needle to go to the half

the only other thing is stuck open thermostat

what you reckon guys ?

im having trouble wiyth my s3, runs at about 70-75 and only gets to 90 in trffic but drops off straight away, also running rich because of this. i also just replaced the temp senser with a ome green one and still the same!

Like mentioned mate it is the thermostat not the sender take my word for it. It opens up aT lower temp than usual making the ecu think the Car is still warming up thereforemore runs rich

Last edited:
Anyone complaining that their temps only get up to 70c and then rise when in traffic, but drop when on the move, get a new thermostat and the problem will go away.

Mine was the same, took ages to get to 90 unless in town. Did the thermostat and it sorted it straight away but I also replaced the temperature sender with a genuine part and I reckon that the engine is more willing as a result. Good luck sorting it.

Anyone know the price of a genuine thermostat from Audi? Can't get through to my local parts desk

i bought one from my part shop not gssf) for £3.50 ,that is probably why its stuck open cheap stuff

How much labour hours are we talking when changing the thermo and temp sender??

just got thermostat price £22 from dealer part no. 050121113c also need the o ring to.dose anyone no were the thermostat is on the s3 apy?

I got mine for £15 and paid £20 to have it fitted I thinkthey are about £20 to buy from audi

Just been to Mr Audi and bought a Temp Sender and a Thermostat.

Thermostat+Washer £19.75
Temp Sender + O-Ring £26.60

Will be changing mine tomorrow and will knock up a walk-through with pix etc once/if i am successful :)

i had the same problem. Took ages to warm up and rarely reached 90 degs.

Changed the sender first - no change. Changed the stat and problem sorted.

I noticed the car was slightly under powered changing it helped lot. And mpg improved slightly

I tried changing mine today.....

Changed the Temp Sender no probz..

Could i find or change the thermostat?.... Could i **** ! I rang Mr Audi and they quoted me £165

Worse still on inspection of the Coolant header tank and oil filler cap.. i see white gunge and scum.... :(

Stuck for now.. They cant fix it till the 4th.... When im back at work 230 miles away :(

I tried changing mine today.....
Worse still on inspection of the Coolant header tank and oil filler cap.. i see white gunge and scum.... :(

It'll probably be condensation as the oil hasn't heated up properly. This is very common on cars if you do a lot of short journeys.

As for the thermostat, it's a pretty easy job, it's ****** fiddly but if you have the tools it's simple.

yeah im no stranger to Spanner bending, but limited with a Philips and a 10-11mm spanner :(

Got an RAC patrolman on his way out to me... Gonna see what he says for £165 at Audi im more than inclined to buy a tool set at halfords and start stripping bits off !

What did you guys use ?

I got same problem. Had temp switch replaced last year, but it was ok for a while, then its messed up again! :( Can't be so soon, surely?

just had this, yes its the stat, yes it does affect performance and economy slightly, yes its do-able yourself but very fiddly however not fiddly enough to justify paying £165

there are links around in recent threads one started by me that give you a guide of how to do it.