Coilpack problem

noddys3

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a problem! i was travelling up the A1 full chat in 6th and at a certain speed it died and now sounds like the engine is going to fall out! a few people have told me it will just be a coilpack as the are prone to it! any ideas? its a 99 s3 btw!

any help asap woul be greatly appreciated!

cheers:hubbahubba:

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you got the engine light come on? If the coil pack is faulty then your car will sound lunmpy where it is running on 3 cylinders. The only way you'll be able to diagnose it would be to get VAGCOM to scan your car.

hi mate cheers for the rreply! i had no management light or anything on just a loss of a cylinder!it did it a few days ago and im thinkin that was the start of it and now its just knackered lol!also if the engine is fully forged should it use alot of oil as mine does!cheers

ive just seen your car parked up near mine :)

ahhh lol i think i seen you drive past mate, up at carrville?im having a rite nightmare, found a melted plug so put a full new set in, changed coilpacks and still have a missfire but not as bad!any ideas people?and sensors or pipes that would cause this?im still getting compression in the cylinder where i found the melted plug and the fuelling throught th einjectors is ok and now im completely stumped?

cheers

come on guys someone must have some sort of idea! this has totally got my head battered as i had the AA out to take me home and my only option is to take it to my mates garage in the morning but i would rather fix it asap as they will have the car for lighyears(no exageration there either) cheers!!!!!!!!:detective2:

Yer I was on my way to work when I past you, I'm still here now :-( night shift doh! Or I would of came over. As far as I know S3's don't have the amplifers I think it's the early 150bhp such as the AGU's, so that just leaves the MAF but I cannot see how the maf would cause the plug to melt, as when my maf went in went into limp mode so it could get home safe. I've got a brand new maf at home that i don't want, you can try it if you like? And if it sorts your problem you can have it for £50

cheers mate that would be a great help! im gettinng the AA out again soon to take my car to my mates garage to get it looked at coz i aint got a clue now!!cheers matey!!!