DIY S3 Front wheel bearing....

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
How hard are these to do...

I've done a few in the past but mainly on Vauxhalls.

Do the new bearings need pressing into the hub, or does the good old hot water method work? LOL :)

Any thoughts appreciated...

Ok, thats fine. My good old fork and spoon method won't work then!

Glad I asked before taking the hub assembly apart!

You deff need a press.... i managed to do mine at home but it was a real struggle even with some homemade tools and a blowlamp

Take the hub off and get down to your local garage. Have them press the new bearing in. Should only cost a drink. Will save loads of bashing and swearing.

It's not so much getting the new bearings in.... if you warm the hub in say the oven and chill the bearings in the freezer then you can tap them in with the outer of the old bearing.... never tap the middle you will ruin your nice new bearings if you do..... the hard part is removing the old outer part of the bearind from the hub.... mine were rock solid stuck and also had to grind the center of the old bearing to remove it from the center part of the wheel hub.... biatch of a job...

It's not so much getting the new bearings in.... if you warm the hub in say the oven and chill the bearings in the freezer then you can tap them in with the outer of the old bearing.... never tap the middle you will ruin your nice new bearings if you do..... the hard part is removing the old outer part of the bearind from the hub.... mine were rock solid stuck and also had to grind the center of the old bearing to remove it from the center part of the wheel hub.... biatch of a job...

That sounds like a right pain in the chuff. ****** that, I'm off down the garage with the hub! My mate's garage is a 2 min walk, so he can sort it out and call it my Xmas pressie :)

Take the hub off and get down to your local garage. Have them press the new bearing in. Should only cost a drink. Will save loads of bashing and swearing.

...gets my vote... I did this with my A4...

<tuffty/>

I went into a tyre place and asked if i could use their press and they were fine. Didn't ask for nothing. let me use their cir clip pliers as well.