How common is it to change steering rack bush?

ex_scoobydoo

Reaction score
in the new year i have a few jobs to do, new cv boots arb bushes wish bone bushes etc, how common is it to change the steering rack bush, i feel a slight judder come up through the steering sometimes when going over little bumps, i wonder if it was the rack bush, has any one had same kind of problem and changed this bush,
thanks

You mean the bush between rack footwell & the car body?

If this one then personally never heard of this myself, not once, get her jacked up & look for wear mate.

think you mean the bush that attaches the end of the rack to the sub frame. doubt its that they are pretty tight. probably your tie rods or rod ends. as NHN says get i jacked up and give the wheels some vigorous wiggling :laugh:

I reckon you probably could change this in situ, although I'm not sure it's likely to be the cause of your problems.

In theory, there's no reason why you wouldn't undo the rack bolts on that end, and somehow slide the bush off the end of the rack, it's a split bush so it can be taken off with the rack in place.

I fitted a powerflex rack bush to mine when I fitted my 225TT rack a few weeks ago, whether it's made a difference or not is hard to tell as my old rack was ruined

TREs are more likely fubar'd

The bushes don't tend to wear/give play unless they have been immersed in oil due to a huge leak or similar