Volks AutosEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

How common is it to change steering rack bush?

in the new year i have a few jobs to do, new cv boots arb bushes wish bone bushes etc, how common is it to change the steering rack bush, i feel a slight judder come up through the steering sometimes when going over little bumps, i wonder if it was the rack bush, has any one had same kind of problem and changed this bush,
    thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You mean the bush between rack footwell & the car body?

If this one then personally never heard of this myself, not once, get her jacked up & look for wear mate.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status
    think you mean the bush that attaches the end of the rack to the sub frame. doubt its that they are pretty tight. probably your tie rods or rod ends. as NHN says get i jacked up and give the wheels some vigorous wiggling
    8P S3

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I reckon you probably could change this in situ, although I'm not sure it's likely to be the cause of your problems.

In theory, there's no reason why you wouldn't undo the rack bolts on that end, and somehow slide the bush off the end of the rack, it's a split bush so it can be taken off with the rack in place.

I fitted a powerflex rack bush to mine when I fitted my 225TT rack a few weeks ago, whether it's made a difference or not is hard to tell as my old rack was ruined
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

1st Gear

Status
    Never heard of it either.
    S3, 4 wheels, magical B8's, Eibach, Pipewerx equipped, glass windows, metal engine, silver paint.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    TREs are more likely fubar'd

The bushes don't tend to wear/give play unless they have been immersed in oil due to a huge leak or similar