Lets get it on then, My 2.1 conversion

Andrew@A.L.D

May add NOS to 600+bhp S3.
Reaction score
Website
www.aldevelopments.com
As some of you know my big end when after a oil pump failure some time ago and at the time i was trying to get it sorted with the garage i got it from but no such luck.

Anyway the engine was stripped to find that the crank was damaged beyond repair and there were scores in the bores as well as some pitting? A second hand engine was my first choice but there a bit thin on the ice and if i did find one people were wanting a lot of money for them and had no history for the engine. The second option was try to find a good S3/TT crank? how wrong again as they are like rocking horse poo but i was offered a 1.9TDI crank and was told that they could be used as part of a stroker kit. I handed over £150 for the crank and walked away thinking what am i getting into know lol.

What to do next? build the engine with what i had I did my research and found pete @ Integrated Engineering very helpful and i have now handed over $1600 USD to pete@IE for a stroker kit giving a 2067cc engine and 8.5:1 compression but still safe to 6500+rpms and some performance valves set with inconel exhaust valves

The rest of the engine has been inspected and found to be good, The head will be fully stripped down cleaned and ported by my own hands as this is what i have been doing for many years. It looks like the head can be improved a lot around the exhaust ports as there is a 5-6mm difference in port size of the head and the manifold and some modification will be done to reduce carbon build up, improvement of of flow, knife edging the split ports on the inlet and will be given a light skim and so on.

When the engine is build it will be run in and a down pipe and exhaust system will be fitted at a later date as well as a remap to make the most of the 2.1 engine, when i get the spare cash the rest of the car will be give a look over on chassis modifications and then a big turbo conversion will be considered depending on money?

Picture will come soon of the damage engine and new parts

But for now here is the car in question

Car before ebay intercooler fitted

Image024-1.jpg

Image035-1.jpg

Sounds good, Shame about the mess up with the garage. Hope all goes well.

I only has the car 2 and a half months before the oil pump went and they refused to fix it ignoring all my letter and fobbing me off when ever i ring, Trading standards didn't have much luck ether so i'm fixing it and throwing in some performance modifications.

I will take them to court for them to pay up for the standard parts put on the car, crank, big end bearing, bolts etc etc to see if i get paid out?

But anyway let the fun begin with this engine

BTW stay away from Blackburn Motor village trade centre

Last edited:
Ok a little update as i got the camera out today to take some pictures of some of the damage and modifications been done

Lets start with the damage

Main bearings
P1050744.jpg

The modifications to the head as you can see the gasket on the head, the gasket lines up with the ports on the manifold but not on the head so i did a little bit of portering to match them
Before
P1050746.jpg

After
P1050747.jpg

Still have loads of work to do on the head as i will fit new guides and recut the seats as there is a bit of play in the valve guids

Picked up a brand new sump today
P1050752.jpg

Painted my cam cover, boost pipe and inlet in crackle black
P1050751.jpg

P1050750.jpg

All sat on my parts washer read to be fitted

Good luck mate... I assume you aren't using the TDi crank non and just bought a stroker kit from IE?

<tuffty/>

Ahhhhhhh, nice one... retains the 1.8t block... interesting... suggests no clearancing either... again, interesting...

One to watch methinks :)

<tuffty/>

Damn nice head work, plenty of material removed. How many hours to do?

2 hours! Im guessing this is you forte? Any pics of the inlets? Im guessing they wont be polished?

Not good unless you want the mix to stick to the sides and dribble into the bores. Be good to see the flow on it once finished

2 hours! Im guessing this is you forte? Any pics of the inlets? Im guessing they wont be polished?

This is a Focus ST170 head i did for a customer i did this year

P1050487.jpg

I will be testing my head on a flow bench when done and then take measurements of the work done and repeat them again if i have to do another

Makes me want to pull the head off mine now but im definately not as good as you!

Thank you plus my prices arn't that bad either ( shameless plug lol PM me if you like about this work )
But lets now talk about the work i can do to head and get back to my 2.1 build.

I should get my pistons, rods and valves in the new year, the engine will be out of the car by sunday. I will order a uprated clutch on the weekend and the gasket kit so will have everything for the bottom end.

My be looking into making a manifold for a GT30 conversion in the new year if found let me

interesting conversion, I've never seen figures for a 'built' engine running a standard turbo....

I assume you'll get quicker spool up and higher torque from the larger capacity? although potentially lower maximum boost capability at the upper limits of the compressor due to a larger space to stuff it into?

Not sure myself as i haven't seen any S3 running a 2.0/2.1 with K04 still?

I will still keep the K04 until run in and when i get the cash then go GT30?

Looks good mate. This is one to watch.

GT30 all the way! :respekt:

it should spool early, have strong torque but run out of puff earlier in the revs as the k04 compressor runs out of supply whilst the exhaust manifold and hotside chokes.

A little update on the head

Done some of the inlet ports and must say there not the easiest things to porter but i got it done, you can see the standard inlet and the finished one, not the best picture as its in crap lighting.

Also cleaned up the combustion chamber

standard inlet port
P1050765.jpg

Modified port
P1050764.jpg

P1050760.jpg

Cleaned combustion chamber
P1050767.jpg

When done it will be going in for a light skim, new guides and recutting the seats

Thanks badger now i'll have to save the penny's now you've said that

Also have you hand much experience with the GT30HTA Turbo's?

no personal experience, but they have a good rep for improved spool over their normal "cousins"

GT35HTA is on my list to try one day if I need to review my existing GT35R

little update

Been working on the car today in the snow its been slow but its time for the engine to come out now, managed to strip most of the engine down in the bay so the only thing left on it is the crank, flywheel, clutch, pulley and thats it. Just need to borrow a crane to get it out but that will be when the snow is gone.

As i had to dismantle part of the gear linkage on the box i notice the bush's on the brackets have seen better days to i will get in to the workshop to turn some metal bushes and hope to make it a bit more positive when shifting

Another small update as i'm waiting for parts from IE

The head has been tested on a friend flow bench and has gained of 10.5% increase in flow on the inlet and 15% on the exhaust witch i thought wasn't than much but was told thats very good gains from that head. More can be had from it if i was willing to put the time into it witch i will be doing with another head but this one will be used for mine as it is.

nice work as usual mate! look forward to seeing it the car

Got these today after having to pay a small charges

Image055.jpg

JE 83mm forged pistons for 2067cc

IE Steel rods

Performance valve kit

No pictures of the crank yet but i will

Also waiting for a single mass flywheel to come so you will get pictures of that, just need to take the block to the machine shop to get it bore out as the is loads of damage to No 2 bore as at some point in its life its drop a valve or two as some major scoring.

Reactions: Brazuko
Andrew :applaus: you are doing something which I think a few of us would fancy if we had the time/balls/money
well done

I wouldn't of done it if it didn't spin a bearing and found out the bore had had it

But Pete at IE did me a great deal on the parts and thought i would go for it

Just got to get the cash together to get a GT30 or 35 Turbo on it when done

Got the engine block and head back from the machine shop and now has a 83mm bore and a nicely skimmed head

Block is painted crackle black witch doesnt look that good in the pictures but it does look good in person and its very high temperature paint

Started to get the bottom end together and ran into a few little problems, with the now 95mm stroke the pistons hit the oil jets so i tried to space the oil jet out of the way with some 2mm spacers but thats just not enough and if i go any more one of the jets will hit the trigger wheel for the CPS so the pistons will need machining witch i will get pics up when done

The trigger wheel was also a problem as the bolt holes didn't match TDi crank ones so i modified the S3 ones to fit but i have now found out that you can use one from a 2.0 8v ABA engine that will bolt on.

With the block back i thought i would cheap the head gasket and all is well with the ALH N/A 2.0 Passat gasket

Spent most of the day lapping all my 20 valves in and rebuilding another head for customer but had to stop with my head as euro car parts gave me the wrong valve steam oil seals

Now for lots of random picture

P1050892.jpg

P1050893.jpg

P1050895.jpg

P1050896.jpg

P1050897.jpg

P1050898.jpg

P1050899.jpg

P1050904.jpg

P1050905.jpg

P1050906.jpg

P1050907.jpg