Lets get it on then, My 2.1 conversion

Little update

With the long weekend i've been working on the car as much as i can as well as doing some cylinder head work for a customer

The bottom end is in, clutch bleed etc etc

Just need to fit the down pipe and the rest of the Milltek, Turbo and head and everything else that goes with it

I hope to get it running by next weekend

Image227.jpg

Taken with a phone cam

Last edited:
She runs !!

Timing still out:banghead: but other than that even with the timing out she pulls really strong, turbo kicks in very early about 2k and pulls hard upto 4k don't want to take it upto any more with the timing out and still having to run it in

Little update

Haven't driven her much as i've been having trouble timing in the engine and i think i know why

The head was second hand as my APY one was dead so i got one off ebay with unknown history but now know its been skimmed to much for standard compression, luckily my 2.1 is running low compression pistons said to be 8.5:1, with the head been skimmed a few times i've worked it out to be 9.4:1 with the thinner head gasket, The C/R is almost standard but with the head been skimmed and the thinner head gasket its shortening the belt thus throwing a fault code up every time.

I got onto Cat Cams and ordered a adjustable pulley that will be able to fine tune the timing rather than been a tooth off on the belt.

Timing all sorted today with the help of the pulley

Made life a lot easier, there would be no way i would be able to get the timing spot on with the standard pulley

just got to drop a bit of oil as its over the level as it smokes a tad when revved

Also have to get rid of the dash warning light with the sport cat

Just a little update

Since the 2.1 build i was worried about the turbo and its history so it has now been to CR Turbos for a rebuild to stage 3

Also fitted 4 new coil packs, CO sensor, Air temp sensor and other little things

I've now got a catch can thats going to be fitted this weekend also a 4 bar fuel reg if i need it for mapping and on the look out for some VXR 440cc fuel injectors

Fitted some face lift lights and thanks to S3_Kev for the info

Just got to get a MOT and then i will get it booked in for mapping once i'm happy with everything

Hows this project going? I've been enjoying the read so please don't stop now dude!

Had some problems with it since the build the engine over heated and damaged a few of the bearings and maybe some of the rings so its been stripped and rebuilt with new bearing, polished crank and Total seal piston rings

Just a little update

After the little problem i have had with the over heating i decided to inspected the engine and found that as it over heated it did some damage to the big ends to out came the engine and stripped right down, the crank was polished as the damage wasn't that bad, i also noticed the rings had got hot to so i replaced them with some Total seal rings. I've also fitted new bearing and the bottom end is back in the car.
Image269-1.jpg

As the engine was out i modified my breather and catch can and happy with the fitment now

Image265.jpg

I also took the time out to paint the door moldings, front grill and rear section of the bumpers satin black as mine were badly faded

It look 100% better than what it was and even better with the facelift head lights

Image263.jpg

Image260.jpg

After seeing Tuffty doing the Golf R32 Throttle body conversion i thought i would have a look on ebay and tame across a few of them, one Tuffty got before me, One that was brand new and paid for it as a buy it now price of £99 but the seller came back to me and said that it was a double post? Bull***t !!. Anyway i posted the part number on on google and i found one on Germany Ebay for a £65 !!

Image274.jpg

Image273.jpg

I'm just on the look out for a S3/TT inlet and making a adaptor plate that will be welded on then ported to match

If that fails i will make my own plenum

Hope it all goes well this time round mate. Didn't you used to run pre-facelift headlights?

Where did you get the facelifts from? Whats it like fitting etc?

There none Xenons Dani

Kev did the same and fitted none xenons, i don't drive much at night as i'm partly blind in one eye.

I got them from Ebay at £55 each and the wiring is just a plug and play but the only modifications you need to do is trim part of the wing

Must fit these before mapping too

Image266.jpg

Also looking at fitting a 2nd fuel pump to make sure the std pump doesn't give up the ghost

Last edited:
Ooh i get you, sorry they looked like xenons, yeah i remember kev's thread, think i may have to do it myself and just fit a HID kit.

Just spent the last few weeks doing more portering work on my cylinder head and managed to get over to my friend workshop to borrow his flow bench and managed to gain more cfm's out of my work done on it and also found out that it has better flow than the CNC small port heads out there now. God know what i'll gain if i did a large port head.

Anyway the head is all built back up again and will be bolted back onto the block tomorrow

No pictures of the head sorry

Started her today and all is well, now smoke, runs smooth, and stays cool, had a little water leak from the thermostat but took 20mins to fix

Bring on the MOT and to run her in before mapping, I would of got her done sooner but i just have been so busy with work i just didn't have time to work on my own car.

Well it failed its MOT but only on the emissions now which is running 0.600 rather than the 0.200 something wrong somewhere but i will be getting it into a diagnostics place to find the problem.

When thats done i will be road legal and start to put the miles on the engine before mapping but i have a few more modifications to make to the engine before i do, one is the R32 throttle body and VXR injectors, i also plan to fit a second fuel pump to help with the feed of fuel.

I have driven the car with the new engine and it has a hell of a lot or torque and thats before mapping. The boost limit comes in and stop the fun at about 3k but i have not disconnected the N75 for now until run in.

Going to get the Jamex coilovers ordered this weekend and will also be popping round to see S3Dave to buy some of his stainless steel tie arms, i would of made some myself but once i've paid for the S/S made a jig and got some spare tie bars the cost would be the same as daves so his are a good price a look well made also.

Also i took delivery of my wheel spacers and went for 15 from and 20 rear. I got the spacers from the TT shop as they sell them as a kit with bolts and locking bolts.

Image276.jpg

Also fitted my catch can

Image265.jpg

I have to many pipes there and also it makes it hard with the TIP in the way.

When i move my battery to the boot i will move it to the engine bay battery box

You can get a flange for the turbo return that lets you plumb a catch can drain into the sump from 034. That might make life easier.

Just a little update

Found out why the emissions were so high for the MOT, The cat was ****** due to oil form when the head gasket went and the piston ring problem. I have a new down pipe and cat coming from relentless which i will replace the cat and cut up the damaged cat pipe and make a decat pipe, i will be keeping the down pipe as i will be cutting that up for when i go big turbo so a little less fab work will be needed.

With that problem sorted i started back on the modifications, My Jamex coilovers have come and will be popping up on saturday to see s3dave for some of his tie arms, i would made some myself but i don't have the space to take them off my car to make a jig. As i'm at Daves i will pop into my local VW to order the R32 ARB's and bushes.

I have also purchased a liquid gauge and will be getting that soon, I can't wait for that as its a great bit of kit i really need.

I'm also making up a adaptor plate for the R32 throttle body i have and i've also ordered all the hoses needed to fit it

Fitted the the spacers and my god they transform the look of the car, I had my doubts with the 15mm front and 20mm rear but they seam just right and when the coilovers are fitted will look even better