S3 Strut Brace

tompearson

It's all in bits
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I used to have a strut brace between the top mounts in the engine bay, but no longer do (most likely since I made the mistake of letting a well known insurance company take my car Direct to their preferred repairer after it was hit when parked). The holes for it have been filled and spayed over so at first glance you would not know they were there but can easily been be seen and felt when trying to find them. I have had confirmation from an Audi dealer that it should be present on my 99 S3 but have yet to get a price from Audi.

Basically though I was also wondering if it is worth using an after market one if it does fit, for example OMP, Sparco or a one of the no name adjustable ones, since I can see lots of A3 ones on ebay and at various online stores. However none identify themselves as being for an S3, so am I right in thinking they should fit no problem? Also what do I need to fit it (bolts, washers, etc) as I obviously have no fittings on my car any more.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure I used to have a strut brace between the top mounts in the engine bay, but no longer do (most likely since I made the mistake of letting a well known insurance company take my car Direct to their preferred repairer after it was hit when parked). The holes for it have been filled and spayed over so at first glance you would not know they were there but can easily been be seen and felt when trying to find them. I have had confirmation from an Audi dealer that it should be present on my 99 S3 but have yet to get a price from Audi.

Basically though I was also wondering if it is worth using an after market one if it does fit, for example OMP, Sparco or a one of the no name adjustable ones, since I can see lots of A3 ones on ebay and at various online stores. However none identify themselves as being for an S3, so am I right in thinking they should fit no problem? Also what do I need to fit it (bolts, washers, etc) as I obviously have no fittings on my car any more.

Cheers

Tell me you're kidding? Get in touch with the insurance company and find out who did the repairs. Its discusting if they'e taken off the strut brace and not but it back, then tried to cover their tracks!

If yours is a 99' S3 with APY engine code, and I presume no ESP button, then no, you don't have a strut brace, and yes, the front turrets have the marks for where the holes needs drilling for one to line up, as it's the same as mine. I managed to pick a brand new OEM S3 strut brace with bolts and had had it fitted on my car, cost me 70 quid I think? Not 100% sure, it was a few years back.

If yours is a 99' S3 with APY engine code, and I presume no ESP button, then no, you don't have a strut brace, and yes, the front turrets have the marks for where the holes needs drilling for one to line up, as it's the same as mine. I managed to pick a brand new OEM S3 strut brace with bolts and had had it fitted on my car, cost me 70 quid I think? Not 100% sure, it was a few years back.

In which case it might be best not to kick off on your insurance company :whistle2:

Jojo yours must be different to mine then? Mine is 99/2000 APY but has the factory strut brace fitted.

Yeah, I might have jumped to conclusions there, although given the grief the whole repair experience was despite the 3rd party paying it was a well founded jump. I can't believe the repairer would have bothered to cover their tracks though since the car was originally returned with a large chunk of one the alloys missing - plus other never resolved issues.
It is indeed an 99 APY with no ESP, so I guess it never had one, although Audi did use my plate to confirm. Did you find the brace helped with the handling Jojo? I find the front a bit vague and thought this might help.

My 2001 M3 didn't have one (they came in in 2002) so i bought one for it. Made turn in better for sure and slightly stiffer at the front so i'm sure the same would be the case in the S3?

It is indeed an 99 APY with no ESP, so I guess it never had one, although Audi did use my plate to confirm. Did you find the brace helped with the handling Jojo? I find the front a bit vague and thought this might help.

I really can't say, as I had Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs all fitted at the same time! I did the strut brace thing, because it was cheap, I guess it reduces chassis/turret flex on the limit.

Mine is a 1999, APY and no ESP but still have a strut brace

Maybe someone did the same as me on yours and fitted one? You can tell if it's done afterwoods or factory fitted by looking at it. On mine, you can clearly see M10 bolts which have been painted the same colour as the car.

Hmm, thanks for the replies. I'm really confused now!

Assuming I want to get one, can anyone confirm if after market ones for a A3 would fit? and what fixings I need as none appear to be supplied with them?

Mines a V reg and non-esp and i have a factory strut brace fitted, i think it was an optional extra.