Epic Fuel Gauge Failure!!! "HELP"

Fahim

Reaction score
Hi,

I read a post on another forum on removing the dash to fix dead pixels and how some people have had their fuel gauge fixed just by removing the plastic fascia and unsticking the fuel gauge so i thought i'd give it a go!

http://www.nynexonline.co.uk/storage/display_repair/audi_display_repair.php

thats the guide i read.

I removed the 2 screws first to remove the dash, and the lights on both lcds turned off (mileage counter display and time/date display)

i then took the damn thing apart and messed around with the fuel gauge moving it from side to side. It wasn't like the temperature gauge which slowly moved from side to side. Instead it went immmediately from empty to full. I assumed a spring was broken and it wasn't anything to do with the fuel sender (which was the next thing i was going to check)

So i plugged everything back in and on the way, managed to push the rev-o-meter needle a little downwards below 0. I set it back to zero and everything was in.

Ignition on, and all of a sudden the fuel gauge is flickering extremely fast from left to right, the speedo/rev meter both DONT work, the date is 07.10.1998 or something, but the mileage counter is still working fine.
When i switch on my lights, they all flicker very fast on and off, including all my roof switch lights (sunroof, lighting etc) and the ashtray lighting is flickering on and off...basically everything is flickering!

I removed and tried to clean the cluster a little, but have no idea whats happened?!

Please, if you have ANY idea whats wrong and the remedy, throw your two cents in. I ****** up big time and haven't got money to buy a new cluster!

Thank you for any replies in advance.

Fahim.

Audi A3 1.6 2000 X Reg - Engine code: AKL

Anyone?

I dont think i'll get any sleep now worrying about this! Was meant to go Croydon shortly but with no speedo don't think i will be. Money problems already and this is making me ten times more worried!! I feel like a **** for trying to fix it, all for a damn fuel gauge.

Personally I would leave the thread a while as A) its a friday night B) its not a common problem

Anyone got any idea??

Today the lights stopped flickering, stopped working all together actually. Same with the LCD time display, and odometer. So i disconnected the battery and after half hour connected it again and its back to flickering!