AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Removal of tint on windows

has anyone ever removed the tint from thier windows, mine was done professionaly by the previous owner and i dont like it
    has anyone removed thiers, was it easy and best way to do it
    thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Using a stanley knife, work a bit of the edge off and it should peel off in one piece. If it's difficult, then maybe some water spray between the film and the glass as you are peeling will aid it.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

1st Gear

Status
    That's the easy bit! The hardest is removing the tough glue used to attach the film to the window which is left when you remove the tint.

I've used white spirit on rag and a fresh Stanley blade to remove the glue on the side windows.

On the rear, the best method I've found is to use methylated spirits on a rag and rub with pressure. You cant use a blade on the rear screen as you are likely to cut into the heated rear screen elements.

I've still only done half of my rear screen so would be happy to listen to any advice about how to remove the glue from it if anyone has any other ideas?

A3 TDI Sport

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

Status
    When I bought my mk2 golf it had some lame tints, professionally fitted though. I bought some cheep windows from the scrap yard and sold the tinted windows and made a a good few 's

Ross_S4

Status
    what i use at work for stripping really stubborn sticky / oily / greasy bits is upvc pipe cleaner, you can get this at any plumbers merchant or even likes of wickes / b&q etc.

however, i have never used this on a car so i don't know what it would do to the plastics. i would imagine it wouldn;t harm them but i can;t say for positive. easy enough to rub a bit on the back of the boot trim though to check.

4th Gear

Status
    I used a rag and WD40 it works but patient is the virtue in these kind of work especially the back window, this works because you need some oily compound in the tin helps to break the harden glue up. Also on a warm day is better. You could always warm the car up inside a bit before that.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Personally, I use Autoglym Tar remover - great for it :-). White spirit is good as well....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for the replys
    i spoke to a guy who fits tints, he is mobile,
    he said he would remove it for 60
    he uses a heat gun and baby shampoo and a lot of elbow grease,
    i think for 60 i will take that option sometime after the new year

Neutral

Status
    start from 1 edge pull off quickly then remove glue as said with Autoglym Tar remover , or use petrol, i used petrol on my saxo and it came off piece of piss 15mins to do all 5 and no glue left after wards just dont smoke it ur car for week lol
    13.8 santapod gti fest 2010 class g 1st place winner. A3 1.8 20vt 180 quattro, Revo stage 2.5 map,[/B] Forge tip, forge cold side, Forge splitter valve, Carbonio cold intake with aem filter,decat pipe, 2.5inch exhaust, k03s turbo with forge actuator, revs fmc with forge houses, j n75 valve, 4 bar fuel reg, hid's, 17" tt alloys t1r