Removal of tint on windows

ex_scoobydoo

Reaction score
has anyone ever removed the tint from thier windows, mine was done professionaly by the previous owner and i dont like it
has anyone removed thiers, was it easy and best way to do it
thanks

Using a stanley knife, work a bit of the edge off and it should peel off in one piece. If it's difficult, then maybe some water spray between the film and the glass as you are peeling will aid it.

That's the easy bit! The hardest is removing the tough glue used to attach the film to the window which is left when you remove the tint.

I've used white spirit on rag and a fresh Stanley blade to remove the glue on the side windows.

On the rear, the best method I've found is to use methylated spirits on a rag and rub with pressure. You cant use a blade on the rear screen as you are likely to cut into the heated rear screen elements.

I've still only done half of my rear screen so would be happy to listen to any advice about how to remove the glue from it if anyone has any other ideas?

When I bought my mk2 golf it had some lame tints, professionally fitted though. I bought some cheep windows from the scrap yard and sold the tinted windows and made a a good few ££'s

what i use at work for stripping really stubborn sticky / oily / greasy bits is upvc pipe cleaner, you can get this at any plumbers merchant or even likes of wickes / b&q etc.

however, i have never used this on a car so i don't know what it would do to the plastics. i would imagine it wouldn;t harm them but i can;t say for positive. easy enough to rub a bit on the back of the boot trim though to check.

I used a rag and WD40 :drool: it works but patient is the virtue in these kind of work especially the back window, this works because you need some oily compound in the tin helps to break the harden glue up. Also on a warm day is better. You could always warm the car up inside a bit before that.

Personally, I use Autoglym Tar remover - great for it :). White spirit is good as well....

thanks for the replys
i spoke to a guy who fits tints, he is mobile,
he said he would remove it for £60
he uses a heat gun and baby shampoo and a lot of elbow grease,
i think for £60 i will take that option sometime after the new year :)

start from 1 edge pull off quickly then remove glue as said with Autoglym Tar remover , or use petrol, i used petrol on my saxo and it came off piece of **** 15mins to do all 5 and no glue left after wards just dont smoke it ur car for week lol