Standard Audi microphone for phone kit

Westy

Reaction score
Apparently there is an audi microphone that fits into the light console in the cabin that can be used with a car kit. I'm thinking of getting the xcarlink kit for iPhone with the bluetooth module. The kit comes with it's own mic but it will have to be fitted somewhere. I was thinking that I would just get the Audi one and tuck it away in the light console an plug it into the xcarlink.

Does anyone know anything about the mic from audi or even have the part number?

And they really are forty quid from the stealer.........

Also, you will need to make up a loom, the wire is very short on the mic..

Last edited:
The mic itself clips into the light, a loom (which you'll have to make) attaches to the wire on the mic and will have to be run under the headlining and down the "A" pillar to wherever you fit the Xcarlink.

So it might be easier to just use the mic that comes with the xcarlink and fit that into the light console? Have you had to make the wiring for one of these mics before kite?

I have put a mic in the light unit once, well I watched someone retrofit RNSE on my car.Getting the wire across the headling and removing the "A" pillar trim was not hard.
I think your problem will be getting the mic to work with the Xcarlink, you could cut the connectors off and splice the wires I suppose, but thats your risk.
Other members on here have much more experiance then me, might be worth a PM to NHN...

You have to realise mate, the audi mic wasnt made to fit the 8L, so its possible it wont have the specific location for it, so you might have to mod this to fit, also I cant guarantee the audi mic will work 100% with the non oem kit, so you best bet is to fit the mic that came with the BT unit.

The loom usually goes down the passenger pillar & down into the floor & to the BT module thats installed under the passenger seat, but as yours is an 8L, you can fit it where you are able to, behind the glovebox is one idea dependent on how big it is.

PS. Sorry for delay in reply to your PM.

Thanks for the reply Nigel. I think you're right it will probably be easier to mount the mic that comes with the kit. I notice that there is a cut out meshed part on the light cluster pannel where a mic can sit so I'll just fit it in there.

You sure that mesh part isnt already taken up by your alarm ultrasonics, I remember looking at this myself, but cant recall 100% as havnt had my S3 for 2 or more years :3sadwalk: she was a beast & do miss her.

You sure that mesh part isnt already taken up by your alarm ultrasonics, I remember looking at this myself, but cant recall 100% as havnt had my S3 for 2 or more years :3sadwalk: she was a beast & do miss her.

Stop messing about and by another one ;)

I will have a look on sunday while I'm doing a few other car jobs, I hope you're wrong because that would be a wicked place for the mic to go.

Hey I would like to but not atm, I'll do later when got next new car, aiming for a Rocco or B7 A4 Avant I think & then I can mod the 8L for weekend fun, glad I sold mine at that time though, or would have lost shed loads I reckon.

TBH mate even if its not somewhere to sit, you could do some modding to make it fit snuggly in there, discreet holes with a dremel will resolve that issue.