Status

Your thoughts on this

Saw this on ebay, anyone used them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/More-BHP-A3-A4...item483868f3b5

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah I have a mate with a Mk4 Golf Anniversary which he had mapped with them, & he's very happy with it.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat pipe, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, Dunlop SP Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

Ian Da G*

Status
    i used them on my last s3 and i was very happy with the remap. had no side effects and made a big difference. i would recommend them to be fair
    S3 2000 Black / weitec suspension kit /Milltek Cat Back /APR remap stage 2 / neuspeed P flo / full black leathers etc etc

Reverse Gear

Status
    you have to send them your ecu?

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Not ideal if you need the car for every day travel and you have to go through the added hassel of taking out your ECU and posting it off, then putting it back in again.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    My mate went up to them to have his car mapped, which is a much better of doing this as every engine has it's own characteristics.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat pipe, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, Dunlop SP Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    My friend had a Golf and the turbo went because of one of these cheap postal remaps.....Just spend a little more and get a Revo/CC etc....

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

3rd Gear

Status
    There may well be some dodgy remaps out there, but the ecu has a lot of parameters that are there to protect the turbo, & will put the car into limp mode if any of these are exceeded. Remaps do not usually involve any adjustments to these safeguards. Just fuel/air/timing/boost are modified. I would say that his turbo was probably already dying, & the remap just put the final nail in it's coffin.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldazzle View Post
    There may well be some dodgy remaps out there, but the ecu has a lot of parameters that are there to protect the turbo, & will put the car into limp mode if any of these are exceeded. Remaps do not usually involve any adjustments to these safeguards. Just fuel/air/timing/boost are modified. I would say that his turbo was probably already dying, & the remap just put the final nail in it's coffin.
    Very true.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Another S3 owner....

Status
    er, let's not forget buying anything from ebay is like buying privately...very risky. I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. Even if 99% of people tell me thy are happy I might just be the 1% and won't have a leg to stand on should anything seriously go wrong.
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldazzle View Post

You got it 100% spot m8!

All the horror stories are always a mates cars or her say 3rd part information or another tuner said the remap caused the turbo to fail ect....
    If a turbo is going to die a remap will finish it off for sure not matter who remapped it, same with a clutch as soon as you have a remap and the clutch starts slipping , is it the remap fault or a worn clutch what was due to fail at anytime with the stock map in place.??
    Engines & turbos blow up all day long remapped or not, its just the onwer with the remap has someone to blame, and the smaller the company the bigger the hit they take imo.

The best way to go about it is do a lot of digging around, ask questions about the company on the forum, ask for "1st hand" experience, find out if they do a full diagnostics, find out if the tuner knows about problems after the remap ect....
    If a tuner says your never going to have issues after the remap then I would steer clear and start looking into another company. The answer you should get is, "yes the is a chance you will have minor issues or even a major issues straight after the remap. Minor issues are coils pack, plugs, maf scale, boost leaks, vac leaks, failed DV, weak valves and Major issues a fecked turbo if its just hanging on for its dear life the the remap is going to hammer the last nail in.
    A lot of horror stories on forums will get deleted if the tuner is a sponsor to protect there name(not saying this forum does but I know of one seat forum the does), IMO the thread should stay and the tuner should be confident enough in there product to defend it on an open forum, to say yes we do have issues not its not the remap.

my 2p worth.

Nick

Neutral

Status
    Just to add to this,

I have never heard any bad stories about More-BHP remaps

Just the problem as a whole with postal remap, IMO how does the tuner know the car is in good running order to take the remap?? He dosent he just takes your work for it and this the where the risk lays.
    Best bet is drive up there and get the full car checked out prior to the remap, if it aint upto sctrach the tuner should advise you what to do and send you on your merry way until its fixed or even fix the car for you.

Nick

3rd Gear

Status
    I think More-BHP have a decent reputation, & I would expect they don't push the limits too much on a postal remap.
    As Nick says there are a lot of potential issues, boost leaks etc that may not be apparent running the standard map that become a major pain with a remap.
    Much better to take the car to them so they can fine tune it to your engine.