Best place to get oil? Halfords or off the web?

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

2nd AVS Service is due and I have sourced all the parts myself and saved a packet (All genuine Audi Parts)! The only thing I need to get now is the oil.

I know Halfords sell Castrol SLX and Mobil 1, but which is the best price? Also could I get it cheaper off the web somewhere? I need 5L for the service apparently...

Thanks for your help
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Hi all,

2nd AVS Service is due and I have sourced all the parts myself and saved a packet (All genuine Audi Parts)! The only thing I need to get now is the oil.

I know Halfords sell Castrol SLX and Mobil 1, but which is the best price? Also could I get it cheaper off the web somewhere? I need 5L for the service apparently...

Thanks for your help
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rich ...
as far as I am aware Halfords DONT sell the right oil - be careful!!
the synthetic SLX that they stock is a different product code, almost made the mistake myself on a top up. The products codes are very simliar. Of course this may have changed and I might be wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Web or Audi would be the way forward, buy a gallon drum ... should have oil for life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Q: r u going to Castle Coombe on Sat the 18? be good to meet up with u if ur.

just toped up mine with about 1.5 l ish of castrol magnatec, after reading this im a bit concirned. should i be.

[ QUOTE ]
velcro said:
just toped up mine with about 1.5 l ish of castrol magnatec, after reading this im a bit concirned. should i be.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have an S3 on Variable servicing then yes you have used the wrong oil. If you have only put a litre in I wouldn't worry too much as I think you are allowed to do this in an emergency situation i.e Light has come on and all you can put in is normal oil.

[ QUOTE ]
Leon said:
Dicky - Re the oil don't be so tight and get yourself of to Halfords..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Ok, Halfords it is! Although I might wait till next weekend and see if there are any deals at Castle Coombe...

[ QUOTE ]
S3_MCD said:
[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rich ...
the synthetic SLX that they stock is a different product code, almost made the mistake myself on a top up. The products codes are very simliar. Of course this may have changed and I might be wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Web or Audi would be the way forward, buy a gallon drum ... should have oil for life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Marcus,

Yes I will be there. Perhaps we should all arrange a meet up as I know quite a few on here are going. Shall we post something in the thread in the events section?

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
S3_MCD said:
[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rich ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Marcus,

Yes I will be there. Perhaps we should all arrange a meet up as I know quite a few on here are going. Shall we post something in the thread in the events section?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich - u hav PM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

saw the stealer today and they said castrol magnatec oil is fine if you have it sevriced regulaly (ie 10,000).