S3 Queries

I

imported_gek

Hi all,
Just to say hi as I have had my 2001 S3 for just over a month now, and thought it time to join.

While I'm here, I do have a couple of questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
From cold if I set off and keep a constant low rev the car seems to splutter a bit. As soon as I either accelerate or once the engine is warm, the problem goes away.
I also noticed that very very occassionally (it's only happened twice) when I am accelerating hard through the gears, I'll hit a blip in power. It's so quick that it's hardly noticeable.
Last one is oil related. Do you get a warning light when the oil needs topping up? I've done about 2.5k from buying and I've not checked the oil yet. Reading some threads here it seems it can get through the stuff pretty quickly.

Thanks!

hi mate, cant say 4 sure as mine isnt a s3, but ive had my a4 1.8t for 4 years now, it always has felt different when cold, but i never really go over 3k until its warmed up, as for the oil check it now, dont wait for the oil light to come on, 1.8ts are known for using a bit of oil.

Gek,

don't worry about the cold running matey, mine is the same. The S3 runs a real rich mixture when cold, equiv to the old choke. Just dont give it any boost untill the gauge is at its normal position. As for oil, I check mine every full tank, like it says in the manual. If you have done 2.5K already, better get down to Halfords and buy a bottle of SLX (5L much cheaper btw) as your gonna need some!! Oil consumption varies, mine used to use quite a bit, but now hardly any?? No reason!? Anyway, best to keep on top of it.

The slight miss, which is more than likley going to be a coil pack in the way out, but get it checked anyways.

Hope this helps, and welcome to AS.

Thanks for the replies. I suppose with the oil it's a case of RTFM! I didn't know you were supposed to check every fill up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Apparently the oil warning light comes on a little later than you would expect so you should keep your eye on it. I check mine every few throusand miles but mine doesn't seem to go down that much.

Remember when getting oil, you can't put any old stuff in! It needs to be 503.01 cerified. The 2 popular ones that you can use is Mobil 1 (0-40) and Castrol SLX (not SLX 2).

As said above, they do seem to run a bit "rough" when cold but that soon sorts itself out when it gets to normal temp (90 degrees).

Hope this helps...
Rich.

I dont use much oil at all though there has been one occasion when the light did come on when I was on the motorway. Its always handy to have a top up bottle of oil in the boot just for those occasions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mine also has the hestitation when cold. At first I thought it was a coil pack, but they are all new ones.

hey guys is the slx oil only 4 s3s or what audi always use gtx magnatec in my a4????