S3 Cuts out 1 second after starting?

S3 HODGE

Brown passenger seat.
Reaction score
Hi all, I was in my car last night and it was fine no problems pulled up on the drive and let it turn over for a couple of minutes then turned it off and thought nothing of it.
Then thismorning i went to start it and it cuts out like a second after starting?

The trip and clock dont seem to work but the dash lights like the Engine management, Parking brake etc come on when i turn the key....
The car starts fine with the turn of the key and then a second later it cuts out?

What you guys recon.....Battery? Altenator? Imobiliser?

Thanks
Adam.

Hi bud, first thing i'd check is your battery terminals, make sure they are on properly, sounds a little like your immobiliser though

definately the immobiliser if it's starting then dying.

my old mans A4 does exactly this when I try to start it on the plastic spare key.

Yea thanks for the replys. I took the Negitive off the battery for about 30 minuites then tryed again but no joy...Still doing the same thing :(

Any ideas on how to sort the imobiliser out?#
Thanks.

is the key icon flashing Adam?

You could try moving the steering wheel one step closer to the dash as sometimes the wires get stretched and the connection gets loose

Not sure, there is a light of the car with a key on the side? and its on solid like the rest of the dash lights.....Hope its nothing expensive :(

Yea thanks ill give it a go.....I rang APD Revo (Local Revo guys) and they said to plug the Vagcomin and have a look. But he said most likely the imobiliser...

Do you know if i can disable the imobiliser using the Vagcom?

Thanks.

I tryed my other spare keys and its the same probelm. :(

Have oyu had it on VAGCOM yet??

Not yet Nilz....Will do at about 3-4 when my friend gets back from work. Cant belive its happend, Really anoying!

O well, gives me reason for dad to let me loose in his 350Z :)

Sounds like the immobiliser.

Also had the same issue with my last car when the ecu was getting enough power but this was because we drew from its power supply for an afr meter...silly move.

Remove the afr meter and stick it on the fag lighter power supply lol.

Could be way of the mark, but the thing that popped into mind is the Revo Immobiliser function. Have you a Select Switch or been using one recently? I am sure that the OE immobiliser works in the same way, but this is what the Revo immobiliser does too.

Hmm.....Good thought, I havent got the SPS Controller tho. I did ring my Local revo dealer and they didnt mention it....My friends coming round with vagcom soon so i will hopefully know what it is soon, As my Coilover, Tie bars, ARB money will be gone :(

I hope so, i know the A4's have problems with the reader coil wiring. Sometimes some tricky soldering on the loom can help as the wires can get stretched with movement of the column thus affecting the connection.

Adam, it will prob worth clearing the code and trying it, if that does not help, i would test the connections under the steering column shroud

I had the exact problem with mine, everyone who looked at it said immobiliser.... so took it to audi who found it was infact the engine speed sensor! hope that helps

My friend came to look at it with his Vagcom and it works out the actual Instrument cluster itself is nakerd....All makes sence now, The fuses are fine so its the actual clock itself :(......Ive found a company that repair them for £150 which i will get done asap.

Thanks for the advice etc....I will post up as soon as i get it fixed.

i have literaly just had to fix the same problem. when i sent the broken speedo off to be fixed they sent it back a week and a half later saying they couldnt fix it. i had to travel twice to get a new speedo, the first time the part number was slightly different and it all programmed in just the immobiliser apparently was a different type, the second time bingo! but i still have the speedo which was wrong for my car, so let me know the part number of yours and you can have this one off me. be prepared for a real pain in the ***

Thanks Dela, Who did you send the clock to for repair?
I need the speedo with part number 110.080.143/003. Its for a facelift S3 aswell, There is one on ebay but its the old one which i dont like :3sadwalk:

Hope it isnt a pain!

Thanks
Adam.

dont think thats the part number, mine was 8L0920980 L and the one i got which the immo wouldnt match and am selling is 8L0920980 B but sadly it isnt a facelift one, its like the one on ebay but with the old s3 symbol on the right

Ahh right i was after the facelift clock. Thanks anyway.

UPDATE:

Last night I checked it over using the Vagcom and it was throwing out faults saying that there was no responce from the instrument cluster. So i tryed looking at the instrument cluster on the Vagcom and it wouldnt access it. I asked my local VAG garage and found that my instrument cluster was dead :( So took the cluster out last night ready to send to a company i found who repairs them for £150 and thismorning i had a weird thought of plugging it back in to see what happens....So i get off the bus :aggressive: and as soon as i get home i plug it all back in and it works fine! :uhm: So i ran the Vagcom though it wast it worked, Cleared the codes and found nothing......Somehow now it works fine? Weird, but i cant complan :)

Happy for you mate. it must feeeel goood..