AUDI S3 8L SAT NAV !!!WANTED!!!

S3LOV

Reaction score
hello, finally got a s3 on sunday and now have a reason to join the site. Very happy with the car, very very happy in fact :yes:. Its completely standard, just the way i wanted it so i can start the long road for this project, and first thing first is the sat nav...
Does anyone have one up for sale / know of anyone who has one for sale.....Am willing to pay good money.....Thanks guys will post pics soon so get your suggestions ready!

:greyrs4:

my advise would be to go the whole hog and get an rns-e, rather than the older unit.

cheers for that listing buddy, im not sure about it though, guy doesnt look to have much feedback and iv bidded and won things which iv never recieved so i am bit cautious.

i would love to fit a new one in but heard they are alot of headache with CAN bus adaptors etc, but isnt that just for dash display, can i not just simply plug in and play or something to that effect?

i wouldnt bother to be fair. i wanted this option for the hell of it cos it looks really good...simple fact is the factory sat navs for these are completely s**te in comparison to your tomtoms, technology has moved so quickly with these in the past 2 years

Cheers mate i checked them out, they did say they could do it but i want to try and do it myself, they are looking to charge 300£ just for fitting!!!!! (including CAN bus adaptor), is that really neccesary / is it possible to just connect the unit and connect the antenna?

I know it probably isnt worth it, but it looks good, dash looks abit plain, want to add some colour, if i do get one i will still prob keep a tommy in the glove box:wacko:

I took mine out and sold it, it was that bad! The old one doesn't even support full postcode search or speed cameras. Although for a 8year old sat nav you can't complain! Tom tom all the way.. or RNS-E. (although no speed camera alerts using this)

I took mine out and sold it, it was that bad! The old one doesn't even support full postcode search or speed cameras. Although for a 8year old sat nav you can't complain! Tom tom all the way.. or RNS-E. (although no speed camera alerts using this)

Do u know if the RNS - E are hard to install?

it will be the quadlock adaptors so yes...you'll need to convert the loom

cant b bothered then, just want a nice and quick install, so ill keep on the look out for rns d, but most of them dont come with wiring loom to connect to my existing wires or an antenna , are these parts available from audi? or somewhere else?
Cheers guys

IIRC peopole have sourced these from ebay too in fitment kits as Audi's kit isnt as straight forward to fit and costs a forutne as you'd expect......

Did you have to use a CAN bus adaptor? Did the unit work even before you had to code it in for the DIS?

Just pulled out the Symphony II, attached that adapter in the link to the plugs that were there. The unit booted and worked without any coding. However i wanted the full functionality (i.e Using the DIS too), so coded that at a later date.

what car unit was the rns e taken from ? did you have to trim the edging ?

Mine was out of a 2004 A4 Cab i believe, Just had to trim the bottom of the face of the unit, so it sits flush in the dash. I think the A4 unit's are best fit due to the square corner's. Ones out of later A3's (8P Chasis) wont fit due to the rounded corners....

Thats great i think im going to go for a rns d for now, and then maybe in the new year go for a rns e.....im going to post pictures soon so let me know what you think....cheers everyone great help:salute:

I'm currently thinking of selling some of the nice bits from my car to get some money in the bank and allow me to keep the car.
I've got OE sat nav with a freeview box etc that I may want to sell but no clue what its worth its also got some box that allows the tv screen to work all the time.
What year is your S3 and what stereo is in your car at the mo as I would want your original one as PX. Below is a pic of mine:
DSCF2130.jpg

hi ben_turbo1, that sounds like something im interested in get back to me and we can go from there?