Trying to fit becker grand prix and failing... need help.!

wagon

**** locked and ready to rock
Reaction score
hello,

just got my becker through the post, and im in the process of sticking it in...

currently ive got power put i dont think the bose amp are getting power or even being switched on..... ive drawn a complete blank, can any one help...

im sat in the car as we speak with the dash in bits. glove box is now on the roof.

please please please please help, im going away tomorrow morning and need to get it done tonight.

im in reading if anyone want to come and help.

(car - 2000 W reg s3 with bose)

Have you actually tried fitting it into the slot yet? Reason I ask is when doing a test fit of one we've got it wouldn't physically fit in the dash as the unit would foul the plastic it slots into, it will fit eventually but will require some filing.

Re the sound from what I've read you need a wiring adapter if you are to use the standard or bose setup as there is a separate plug for the rear speakers and sub woofer.

Personally I would leave it for another day and give it another go with some daylight as working in cold dark conditions are not ideal.

oh i was under the impression that the unit should plug stright in.??? using the audi wireing..... its a very tight squeeze, but i can see where it is fouling. file at the ready.

thanks for the reply mate, but i have to get this done. im going on a road trip and cant deal without music.

ive not got sound from the front or rears.????? i have got a rca thingy ma-bobet... from when i put in a ****** sony stereo... im just gonig to have a hunt for it in the garage.

ok so ive found my RCA preout connector thinging. and now i have audio. just going to see if i can get the mother load of cables in...

strange thing is. it now sounds rubbish... i have to turn the base right down.. to -7 and the sub keep cutting out if i turn it up to loud. its crackles a fair bit too. is this normall.?

i can also here an annoying whine when the stereo is on comming from the speakers...

****** thing...

You don't need any adapters with the Becker as it uses the same non standard mini ISO connections as the stock Audi radio. The only thing you have to do is snip the "remote on" wire (the 12v trigger that turns the Bose amps on) this is located on the 20 pin mini ISO (Connector C1, pin 6) on the Audi loom, and re position this onto the black power connector at position 5 (connector A) shown below:
Beckerwiring.jpg

If your S3 is a pre-2000 model then you'll have to swap over the perm live and switched lives on the same connector A as Audi wire them back to front. If your S3 is a 2000+ model then you won't have a switched live on connector A so you'll have to pair the perm live with the switched live to get the unit to work and turn it on/off manually or wire in a switched live feed from the redundant fuse in the fusebox (Radio S-Kont).
This is why you have no power and the Bose amps are not switching on.

think that might cure my whinnnnning issue andy, as the rca thing could be crap....

ill give that a go now... ill no doubt mess it up.

just read your pm andy. cheers mate. your a star. i however looking at it, someone has already been at the wireing before i got the car....

coming out of the black audi block. (pin 5) doesnt go anywhere. ive just got a plug on the end of it... ill dig out my camera and take a pic. that would clear it up no end.

Yes that's right. There won't be anything in pin 5, you need to take the wire from C1 pin 6 and plug it into pin 5. You should have got a power harness with the RCA adapter so you can butcher this rather than touching the Audi connector. Just plug the black Audi connector into that harness then cut the wire going to pin 5 on the HU side and splice it to the cut wire from C1.

FILE0065.jpg

what i have leads wise. without the RCA block

FILE0063.jpg

the lead comming out of the pin 5 on the black audi block...

FILE0061.jpg

lead comming from pin 5 on the audi block again

Right, so you need to cut the wire on pin 6 of the yellow connector and connect that lead to the wire coming off pin 6. You then will have nothing connected to pin 6 on the yellow connector. The yellow connector then plugs into the Becker C1 position to give the Bose amp its feed. I presume the extra blue/green cable is for a phatbox or similar. doubt you'll be using this if you are using an iPOD. So both blue/green plugs can be disregarded.

Last edited:
cool. sorry the extra c2, c3 is the beck ipod remote kit... ive run it down the back and have it comming out underneath the ashtray.

pin6 on what plug, and where do i plug the aerial amp into. (sorry, ive been awake for comming up 48 hours now, very tired and very stupid),

thanks for making it all clear andy you are a legend.... a true gent.

Pin 6 on the yellow connector, which is one of the two middle pins, the one on the right in the above diagram, and right as you look at the back of the yellow plug (but make sure you have it up the right way). The aerial amp flying lead connects to the same wire (pin 5 on the black power ISO). All pin 5 does is provide a 12v trigger to the Bose amps and the aerial amp adapter whenever the HU is turned on. When you turn the HU off then this drops to 0v so you don't drain the battery.
Sorry me being thick of course that's the new iPOD cable. So slide the yellow plug onto the Becker iPOD cable to form a single 20 pin connector and plug the whole thing into the back of the Becker.

Last edited:
thanks again andy, ill do this first thing. early night for me tonight.

ill let you knowhow i get on...