Lowered springs are new dampers essential?

ex_scoobydoo

Reaction score
ok im looking at getting the car lowerd a little, i really dont like the high suspension, but i dont want to start throwing lots of cash into the car, i had my days of that with the subaru, 14000 total.
so is it possible just to put on lowerd springs, if so can anyone recommend,
i also seen somewere about tie bars or something, do i need these for lowerd springs ?
thanks

seems a decent price, would it be better to also change top mounts at the same time, also what about tie bars, i think thats what they are called, are they needed

I think you need tie bars if you go lower than about 15 - 20mm.
I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong though.

I was wanting to do my suspension in stages to soften the blow of the £££, but i'm not sure of the best route...

In the long run, getting the dampers done along with springs is more cost effective, as it's all coming off anyways. There's nothing wrong with just lowering the car on springs, but the standard OEM shocks are SHOCKING, and don't really do much damping after 40k miles in my opinion. Strut tops don't need to be changed, but for piece of mind, you could get some fitted whilst you are at it, since it's coming off anyways. Adjustable tie bars again isn't really needed, unless you want to preserve the life of your rear tyres, as the car run negative camber at the back once lowered, I've not got them, but i only do 3k miles a year in my S3.

Personally I'd say save up a little longer and get a good springs and shocks kit and a set of adjustable rear ties.

You'd have forgotten about the cost of them a few months down the line when your smiling with a great handling and looking car. In the long run it'll also be a cheaper way of doing things because your standard dampers won't have gone because of the lowering springs and your rear tires won't be scrubbed off from the negative camber.

Damian @ DPM Performance

hi
i know what you mean, but i just dont want to through ££££ into car again like my last one, http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/kw-3...99-p-1265.html
i could live with, are these ok ?
can you recomend any decent priced tie bars to go with this kit
thanks

That's the kit I was thinking of getting, heard good things about them.

Then I wondered if I should get decent quality springs now, decent dampers early next year and then tie bars a few months after that, to spread the cost (despite the eventual price being waaay more) and potentially end up with H&R / Bilstein set-up.

Thinking about it again, I think i'll just go for the KW kit and worry about the tie bars at a later date.:happy:

Last week I fitted KW kit, so far I have been impressed, not crashy even on the cheltenham roads!!

They have reduced the roll and stiffened it all up, The suspension is no stiffer than may girlfriend LCR FR 2.0 TDI OE setup.

The suspension is no stiffer than may girlfriend LCR FR 2.0 TDI OE setup.

I could be wrong but isn't that the notoriously bone-shattering setup that Auto Express did a Halloween Special on a few years back 'cos it was so scarily stiff?
Dunno if that was the TDi to be fair! Was probably some racey limited edition or something...

Probally is!! It is pretty stiff come to think about it

I would say the KW kit is a smoother ride, I recommened it! The suspension that was removed was really soft and probally knackered so I does seem like a massive improvement but still feels OE, nothing like coilovers

Thanks for your opinion.
I think I will go for the KW kit then.

Next decision... which first; Remap or KW kit?
Think I can do one or the other this month...

Gotta be the remap really hasn't it!

Exactly the choice I made!!! Got to be the remap first and went with revo. Puts a real smile on your face first drive it home. My list goes some thing like this:- panel filter, Remap, FMIC, suspension, wheels and/or brakes, adjustable tie bar antiroll bars, then turbo hyrid exhausty things or BT. (waiting for JBS to get some real world figure for their manifold). Little Steps in the right direction