Revo stage 2 yesterday and cambelt gone today

ash3435

flat out if in doubt
Reaction score
yesterday i took my car for a stage 2 map at revo,the increase of power was amazing as the car was standard.all seemed to be good until this morning at 6:45(i got up extra early to give it a cold run).first turn of the key there was no fire from the engine, so i turned it back and tried again.it started but not its normal self.lumpy and smelling of unburnt fuel,i jump in and took it up the street thinking it would be alright.as i crawled over a speed hump that was it game over.rung the AA and they came out. the bloke had a quick look inside the oil cap while i turned the key and said the heart breaking news.the cam-belts broke, he couldn't see any internals moving so thats that.the cars done 70000 on a 2001,only had it 4 5000 miles and took it for granted it had been done.wot a fool,never believe wot old owners say!!!

could the AA bloke be wrong and it be something simple?

.the cars done 70000 on a 2001,only had it 4 5000 miles and took it for granted it had been done.wot a fool,never believe wot old owners say!!!

could the AA bloke be wrong and it be something simple?

Unlucky mate, I doubt the AA guy is wrong, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a second inspection by someone in the know?

As for the old owner bit, I take it you was told the cambelt has been done, was there proof or a receipt of the work carried out? It's the problem with buying a used car, the history can be dodgy, even with a fully stamped up book!

I can't believe he made you turn it over suspecting the belt had gone! IF by some freak chance it hadn't eaten itself internally, turning it over whilst there are valves held open will ensure that they are bent now anyway!

there's an inspection cover for a reason.

Still, VERY harsh luck mate, it's anyones guess when they can go. I've seen plenty of standard cars on 100k on the original cambelt, and I've heard of one go at 40k!

Pretty sure you can't see anything by just removing the oil cap anyway. There are 2 plastic caps that fit over the inlet (front of engine) cam gear before the cam cover goes on and those would obscure the view to any rotational stuff.

Only way to tell for sure is to remove the top cam belt cover which is a bit of a pig of a job.

Feel for you mate, a friend recently had his go but cam belts usually just go with no warning and the engine just dies, not let you start (sounding rough or not) and drive off.

Be tempted to get a second opinion and at the very least get fault codes checked...

<tuffty/>

absolutley wounded for you mate, although i would say to anyone considering a remap or any other mod that would result in a significant rise in power to check the condition of your cambelt, no one wants to be in your situation, least of all you :)

i checked my cambelt a few weeks back, just took the top cover off whilst i had the hardpipe from the fmic to the tip removed, couldnt see all of belt but could see 60-70% of it giving me a good clue as to what condition its in, prehaps you should try this, only a half hour job, would confirm your problem once and for all, either way!

also agree that the AA guy turning the engine over whilst suspecting a busted cambelt is poor show, would of told him to feck off, especially at 630am lol

Last edited:
No .... just checked,,,, you can't see the internals through the oil filler.... there's a plastic cover that looks Cam shapped.... in a cold dark morning maybe he mistuck it for the cam ??? i would get that second opinion

it started but not its normal self.lumpy and smelling of unburnt fuel,i jump in and took it up the street thinking it would be alright.as i crawled over a speed hump that was it game over.

Im more curious about that. The AA man should of checked it properly! Always get a second opinion. I had problems where on my fiesta it wasnt heating up so i called him out and he said my water pump had gone when the car wasnt overheating. It turned out to be my heater control valve. Check your coilpacks etc. What did it sound like when it was starting up? like normal but no fire or just spinning and didnt sound normal? (if that makes sense?)

Did the guy not even check for fault codes? That and removing the cam belt cover for a look would be top of my list...

<tuffty/>

Bad luck mate. If you do want to get a second opinion i know a guy quite local to you who is trustworthy. Let me know if you want his number.

you definantly cant see the belt through the oil cap cant belive he didnt notice this maybe he couldnt be botherd to try and help you?
as said pop the top cover to one side no need to remove it just release the retaining clips and hold away to look at belt dont push it to hard though or you may break the cover.
id susspect coil pack or maf fault from your symptoms poor running fuel smell etc i very much doubt the belts broken maybe it sounds like its lost comprssion because its not fireing due to coil pack and washed the bores down, get it on vag.com or take to a garage to look at it

Could be the cam position sensor too... that would give similar symptoms.

<tuffty/>

Like some have said, if the belt goes it goes, doesn't give you a rough running warning. I know it's a cliche but if you've only just had it mapped perhaps your coil packs have completely packed up...was the car turning over at all when you tried it or was it just dead ?? Does seem a little strange how you describe it, I'd definately get somebody to check it over for a second opinion...

had the belt checked out and its fine.had it changed anyway.fuse 10 has blown twice trying to start it.ive checked the coil packs and there is a spark on all plugs.thanks

I would take it back to the tuners and get them to have a look at it. Seems strange it was fine before the remap and now its playing up.

The very least they can do is put a std map back on and see if the problem persists.

<tuffty/>

Ive taken it up to revo dealer today so they can look at it 2moz.hopefully he can find it as all i want to do is drive it, after spending all that money