Family man and moving on from the S3

S3 Wannabe

Reaction score
Was just wondering what people in my position may do, or have done -after the first of the children come along????

A fast saloon is now calling, and a change will have to come within the next 12 months or so. I can just about live with it (the S3) for the moment but the addition of another child is looming, and even with one we seem to need more and more space.

I like the idea of 4 wheel drive and have considered:

Passat R36
Audi S4 (V8)

However a BMW M5 (V8 5.0L) is still an option also, some high performance diesels look attractive -but they are still a diesel!

What have people done or looking to do, which may help to ease my decision!??

Annual mileage and tax don't concern me too much as i've just had a promotion, and the car is my one indulgence! :racer:

S4 or evo for me when children come, cant wait haha.

Having driven my parents a4 tdi I'd honestly be happy owning one of them although I'd lean towards the 170 and a map.

E39 M5 would be my choice, if you can find a nice low mileage minter and don't mind paying a bit extra. S4 V8 if you like the added security of quattro, just make sure you get an Avant model, and you will not worry about space at all. ;) Passat R36 sounds a nice idea, but the value of one will drop like a brick, and for the same money, surely an Audi would look better on your drive!

As much as I like Evo's I would never buy one to ferry my family about, they are a bit too hardcore, and you'll be constantly looking over your shoulder or worrying about it when it's parked up! Weekend toy that you can garage, then yes, get an Evo.

The E39 M5 was, and still is, an absolutely phenomenal car. That V8 engine is simply superb. Comfortable, refined and docile when you want it to be but has monster performance should you ever need it. Most are fully loaded and I think they still look pretty handsome on the outside. Running costs can be stratospheric though, because although they can be had for under £10k now, the fuel/servicing/general maintenance is still that of a 50 grand super saloon.

The S4 is nice, but if I'm honest it's a little too clinical. They're fast in a I-can't-believe-we're-doing-130-already kind of way, but it's all very quiet and predictable. They drink like a 6 litre Chevy too.

I've not driven a Passat R36, but they're still around £20,000 to buy so I'd give it a miss unless you fancy selling it a year down the line for £12,000.

Old RS4? Or RS6 even... both can be had for around £16k I think. I think the Passat would be a little boring, my next car WILL have a V8!

I've recently thought about this and I dont think i'd be able to afford to run or maintain one of the above whilst having to pay the mortgage and bills by myself! I was thinking along the lines of:

Skoda Octavia
BMW E46 325
Audi A4

i have 3 small children, i should of got a 4 door i know that but i couldnt resist the s3, but my other options were

audi s4 (couldnt really afford one)
skoda octavia
lexus IS200

i took the selfish route and got the s3:slap:

i did like this octavia

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1235706.htm

i have 3 small children, i should of got a 4 door i know that but i couldnt resist the s3, but my other options were

audi s4 (couldnt really afford one)
skoda octavia
lexus IS200

i took the selfish route and got the s3:slap:

i did like this octavia

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1235706.htm

I saw that on pistonheads a few weeks back, it is nice. I just dont think i could do without 4 wheel drive any more! I drove my birds mini for a week last week and it drove me mad sliding all over the place in the wet.

I'd go for a nice B7 A4 TDi Avant S-Line or a BMW 330D touring...

ive had this convo with the misus....for the first child we wouldnt sell the S3 just because we have a child, theres the worry that you'll have to get in the back to put the child in the seat but when you consider the amount of journys you'll make together......its not worth the cost to change the vehicle IMO

we have two big dogs at the moment and have considered changing on that basis, simple fact is the S3 has the space, it only lacks the doors..... sod selling it just because of that.... cost to change and increase in running costs = false economy in my book unless you want an excuse to change ;)

Well we just had our 1st child a few months ago and we dont intend on selling the S3 anytime soon, we can get everything into the boot, with out an issue, the seat is on an isofix base, so its click in and click out, and another benefit of a 3door is that the front seat tilts forward, so you have more access to the child, as you cant do this in a 5 door, its side access only.

Maybe on a second child, will we upgrade to a 5 door, but until then, im standing my ground!! ;)

Was just wondering what people in my position may do, or have done -after the first of the children come along????
Just buy the missus a people carrier and keep a sporty thing for yourself,thats what I did.

S3 wannabe,

You never mentioned budget but some good cars have been mentioned. Surely a performance estate is the way forward in your position? Either petrol or high powered diesel. I wouldn't bother with an E39 M5. Nice cars but very dated compared to other modern cars out there
As you said S4 sounds about the best choice if you're not fussed about fuel economy.
Or how about 530D/535D touring (or the 3 series version!)

8P S3 sportback?
5dr golf GTI?

Last edited:
Simple. Get a 1-2 year old mondeo estate for the family + luggage and keep your S3 for your sanity. That's the only way I can cope with a wife & 2 girls under 3! A good welly out of a few corners on the way to/from work each day keeps me in check. :racer:

Simple. Get a 1-2 year old mondeo estate for the family + luggage and keep your S3 for your sanity. That's the only way I can cope with a wife & 2 girls under 3! A good welly out of a few corners on the way to/from work each day keeps me in check. :racer:

May be doing a lot of trips to france with the family in future, and the family car has got to be something more special to drive!

S3 wannabe,

You never mentioned budget but some good cars have been mentioned. Surely a performance estate is the way forward in your position? Either petrol or high powered diesel. I wouldn't bother with an E39 M5. Nice cars but very dated compared to other modern cars out there
As you said S4 sounds about the best choice if you're not fussed about fuel economy.
Or how about 530D/535D touring (or the 3 series version!)

8P S3 sportback?
5dr golf GTI?

that was my concern on the BMW, -beginning to look old. I also find the interiors a bit drab compared to the Audis.

budget anything around 15K+, the 8P just isn't big enough for me in the boot (and out of budget). The actual seating (front and rear) space i did find more roomy than the new S4 however!

There is a 4WD 2.8 V6 turbo Saab out there, but i've heard it's not all that much cop.

It's looking like an S4, and every petrolhead must have a V8 at some point!

I think the S4 is a the most obvious choice. Estate or Saloon?

I wonder how well they map?