Audi S3 overheating

j444rdy

Reaction score
hi all, just new to this site tonight. Only bought my first s3 (51) about 2 weeks ago and already having loads problem with it.

Main one being, i can't drive for more than 5minutes without temp reaching 120!! Coolant has went down slightly but feel this is due to the temp the car has been reaching.

any ideas what this could be, all replies would be much appreciated, thanks

Could be lots of things, fan switch not coming on! not that it need to at this cold temp we have at the moment, or the thermostat might be stuck in a closed position or stuck with with a small gap that is not good enough for water to flow properly to the radiator. or water pump imperller is worn out and water is not circulating.

thanks for reply, i put radweld in earlier because getting worried could off been gasket going, a little ended up dripping out radiator after running engine for about 15mins but problem still there! can't seem to get any heat out a/c does that help narrow it done?

Thanks

Drain the radweld out as quick as you can it's dreadful stuff. All it's good for is blocking your heater matrix, & rad, & siezing the thermostat up.
You need to refill the system with the correct mix of G12 antifreeze, & bleed any air out.
The fact that your heater isn't working points to air in the system.

If the top hose on the rad is hot, (which I'm sure it will be) & the bottom hose from the rad is cold you have air in the system.
If you aren't mechanically minded get to a garage quick & get them to flush & refill the coolant system. They shouldn't charge you much £25/30 + antifreeze.
Running the car at those sort of temps is going to do damage, & will cost you a lot more in the long run.

I'd say your pump is knackered or your thermostat has seized shut...

I agree with leggy. Sounds more like the pump. If there were any cracks in the head then your water levels would just depleate.

Yeah, could well be a dead water pump. You need to check if there is any flow in the system. Take the the expansion tank cap off , get some one to rev the engine & look to see if coolant is flowing into the expansion tank, if it isn't then it looks like the pump has broken.

Yeah id say the pumps gone, the normal leval fo the collant is quite low anyway i got mine replaced last month at audi i cost me £346.02 that included the belt getting done at the same time as they r both located in the same area in the engine and are both a hell of ajob 2 do!!!

thanks alot for the replies guys! took it to a dealer yesterday, just got off phone to him and he reckons it's water pump aswell but going give me a bell later! will be sure to flush that radweld out (thanks for heads up on that, didnt thinnk would do much damage lol) will keep posted and let use know the outcome.

Thanks again

Just got car back today folks, turned out was the water pump (had cracked in 3 places)! so new pump and belt £380 that was including £20 worth off coolant so i assume all radweld will be out now lol! thanks for all replies