3" downpipe + standard exhaust ?

alistair666

Reaction score
Looking to fit a 3" downpipe on my 1.8t but keep the standard catback to keep the noise down. Been told the main restriction in the standard system is the downpipe but the center and backbox are quite freeflowing. Is this right?

Pretty much. The standard exhaust wont be any real restriction to you unless your going BT.

well I'm not going big turbo but I do have a k3os waiting to go in followed by a stage 2 map

Not really, you can but to get the best out of stage 2 you need a full free flowing exhaust system e.g milltek downpipe+Catback, A better intake such as green cotton and a FMIC :) Why dont you go resonated if you want to keep the noise down?

Last edited:
At the moment iv a jetex catback and milltek downpipe. Would a resonated milltek system be quieter than the jetex?

Not really, you can but to get the best out of stage 2 you need a full free flowing exhaust system e.g milltek downpipe+Catback, A better intake such as green cotton and a FMIC :) Why dont you go resonated if you want to keep the noise down?

Its not the noise that worries me... I've heard that some miltechs rattle around and don't fit too well and that would bug me forever more! also I was trying to be cheap :)

I never thought FMIC was needed for the stage 2?