Stuttering / Juddering

gaz5594

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help, I am getting a stuttering / juddering / hesitation from my 2001 S3 when accelerating at around 2000 to 2500 rpm in fourth gear (around 30 to 40 mph). The revs dont risewhen it happens, the car just stutters but when it gets above 2500 rpm its fine. It doesnt happen in 1st or 2nd and now the engine management light flashes for 10 seconds or so, (that didnt happen at first). It is most prominent when going uphill, i'm guessing because the car is under more load? Also happens sometimes on motorways when i try to accelerate in sixth. I'm not flooring it either, its just 1/2 to 3/4 acceleration.

I thought it was the clutch / flywheel / slave cylinder but that hasnt fixed it, an expensive misdiagnosis by myself i admit :jester:, but it still happens so i was wondering if anyone can help me?

Regards

Gaz

Might sound obvious, but have you had the car hooked up to VAG-COM to see what fault codes the diagnostics might find?

my guess is coil packs or your knock sensor..... both produce the exact same symptoms.....

The most commonly typed answer to this sort of thread is 'Coil Packs'. But thats because its the most common cause of that fault. They're about £30 each plus fitting and the best place to start. 6th gear and uphill is what puts the most load on the engine (and clutch - but clutch slip isn't a stutter)