Broken dumpvalve ?

ex_scoobydoo

Reaction score
ok guys
i have just bypassed my N249 hoping it would solve my problem with my revs dropping, unfortuantly it hasnt, what i have found is that if i remove the vac hose from the top of the dump valve i get no revs drop, could this mean my dv is broken ?
this is driving me crazy now, but really i cant afford for it to be checked, im hoping i can figure it out myself, and with some help from you guys.

Last edited:
I have standard DV about if you PM me your address you could try it out and give me a little £ if it does work?

Remove the DV and see if its holds pressure, if it doesnt its broken, simples.

Remove the DV and see if its holds pressure, if it doesnt its broken, simples.

as in totaly remove it, were am i looking out for to see if pressure builds
i dont mean to sound dumb but i dont wuite understand

Right, totaly remove the Dv, push the diaphragm up inside the DV and place your finger tightly over the the little vac pipe on top of the DV, now remove your finger from inside, if the diaphragm drops down then the DV is faulty, if it stays then its fine.

Have you checked for fault codes ??

na i have no way of checking no vag com etc

Have you looked on the stickie to see if anybody is in your area that could help you out, failing that have you got a GSF near to you, they can scan your car for a small fee...

dump valve is fine
its strange because if i leave the vacume hose off everything seems good
if i then hold my finger over the vacume hose it instantly drops revs as if to stall then goes back to normal, should the vacume hose be constantly sucking air ?

well i just found a couple of threads these guys having same problems as me

Rough idle, RPM's bounce up and down, and dropping real low.... - Audizine Forums

Rev's bouncing + lack of power at just under 3k + very poor mpgs - Tyresmoke Forums

in the second link i see him mention about some dv's make a fluttering sound when they on thier way out,
(mine is not stock dv either but i dont think it is a 007p)
well mine did make that exact same sound, but i thought it was normal, since my revs started droping i dont hear this sound anymore but i do here the turbo whistle through most gears even at low revs, again i thought this was normal, also i see small oil patch gather just below my dv but cant locate the source, and when i remove the vac hose from the top of the dv the revs dont drop. i did today test the dv like Dani_B19 suggested,
so does this sound like the dv causing the problem or is Dani_B19 suggestion 100% accurate ?
to buy or not to buy a new dv:huh:

were is the pcv valve/system im looking towards that also

Last edited:
ok back again
after searching google all day yesterday and a bit this morning i think all my symptoms point to the pcv system

revs droppin
slight smoke now and again after driving hard
funny burning smell (not eggy)
fluttering noise in between gear changes (now stopped happening)
i now get a whistle noise through gear changes
slight oil just under the dv (not located source yet)

i lot of threads i have been reading all have the same sort of problems
all point to the pcv (sometimes the dv) im 80% sure this is my problem.
just my luck the weather today is rubbish but i need to get under the bonnet and take a look, its driving me crazy
i dont suppose anyone has any links or advice so i know what to be looking for, from what i can understand the pcv system is usually under the dv, in that area, what does the pcv valve look like, is thier more than 1, best way to clean it, obviously i will be checking breather pipes also for splits and tears etc.
any advice welcome
thanks

PCV is located below the plate that holds the N249, N112. It inserts into a large rubber T piece to the right of the dipstick.

Like paul says the PCV system runs from next to the oil filter, tee's off to the inlet manifold, vac line, runs up into the rocker cover, tee's from there to the intake pipe into a black mushroom type fitting.

ok guys after closer inspection i have found two pipes, made out of plastic, like flexi hose well more like a petrol can pipe, one goes from the bottom right of the engine to the airbox and the other goes from the bottom of the engine to some sort of regulater to the right of the FPR these have both got holes in them, are these part of the pcv or something else?
in either case i guess its not good for the running of the car

pipes.jpg

thse 2 pipes you can just see the arrows in red, they have broke into bits

The one on the right that connects to the airbox goes to the SAI, cant remeber what the left ones for.

Just to warm the cat(s) up on first start up, only runs for about first 5 mins of start up.

ok thanks
has anyone got any idea about the second pipe, either way i need new ones now lol

They are both secondary air injection mate.

right one in your pic is from the 'clean' side of your airbox down to the secondary air pump and other is return back up to the combi valve.

They are both secondary air injection mate.

right one in your pic is from the 'clean' side of your airbox down to the secondary air pump and other is return back up to the combi valve.

so with a hole in the left hand side one could this cause the funny drop in revs then when i let of the gas

Why dont you just patch both holes up tempaory and see if it fix's the problem.

ok sorted finally
had vag com on it, thrown up 7 errors, some cleard but needed a MAF and 1st lamba probe, got the maf problem sorted, lamba will have to wait a week or so £90 from euro parts, the 2 pipes i need i nearly died when audi quoted me the price 30 and 50 or something, i forget now, euro parts dont do pipes they say, does anyone else know anywere i could get them from cheaper than audi ?
06A 133 889H
06A 133 817J
are the parts number
also where can i find the temp sender located
i bought a new one of those also, green one i hope it is the correct one.

So after all that, a 5 min connection to Vag com sorted it? Thats why i just ask someone that knows to look for me! Alot less hassle!

Anyway, glad you're getting somewhere!

yer i know for next time now lol
thanks mate
just need to know were the temp sender is now so i can swop that over, i forgot to ask the guy at the garage

Yes i need to do that too. I guess its somewhere near the thermostat!!! Helpful aren't i?

lol
i tried google but its thrown nothing up
lets hope someone reads this thread who knows
i dont really want to start another