Tyre Wear

robthehungrymonkey

Reaction score
I went to get two new rear tyres yesterday (after getting a massive nail in one of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif), and had the lovely surprise of needing 4 (and then not being able to pay for them, as only had cash for two and my credit card wanted a pin number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif! anyways..). The front tyres had worn quite badly on the inside. I was told that it was the camber, and that they were supposed to do it. I know that could be the case to some extent, but it was quite badly worn. Is it worth me trying to get it sorted? Any idea if there is another problem?

Rob.

thants not how it should be.

May well be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done. Expect to pay £150 upwards for the pleasure.

I got my wheel wheel allignment done for £50 quid at Elite Autos in Rainham Essex and was very pleased with how they did the work. I had the same problems with worn tyres and that cured it and they are still fine now cos it was done a while back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just gave them a call, have to go to Tonbridge Audi at the weekend anyway, so only another 20min drive after that.
Sounded pretty good, and reasonably priced.

Cheers!

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but I think this problem is normal, especially on Quattro cars. See the post I created some time ago regarding this.

Click Here

[ QUOTE ]
S 3K said:
I got my wheel wheel allignment done for £50 quid at Elite Autos in Rainham Essex and was very pleased with how they did the work. I had the same problems with worn tyres and that cured it and they are still fine now cos it was done a while back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You may have got your wheel alignment done for £50, but that's about it!

What you need to get down is get your camber/castor and toe in/toe out settings changed. And as someone said earlier, you won't get much change out of £150.

If your car is lowered, you'll find the negative camber on the rear will cause the inside of the tyres to wear down very quickly. If you have had you car lowered, you should consider getting adjustable tie bars, the ones like Forge Motorsport make (pic below).

fmautb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
taken from Forge website
After looking at the problems associated with the lack of adjustment, especially noticeable when the vehicle has been lowered we decided to look for the best solution. It was about this time that owners were starting to report in Europe that they were experiencing the rear control arms snapping so rather than looking at an eccentric bush replacement we decided to re-engineer the rear control arm to what it should have been in the first place.

We started by adding the means of adjustment then added strengthening, especially as we appreciate that many of our customers may be using their vehicles on the track. Then we had polyurethane bushes made because they offer far better characteristics. After many months of rigorous testing we are now confident we have the perfect solution. If you ignore the obvious benefits of reducing uneven tire wear and improving the tire surface contact area, the seat of the pants ride is far better.

If you just return the car to the OEM original geometry settings you find that the tram lining feel disappears and the turn in is far crisper, of course if you are willing to experiment with the settings to maximise any other modifications on your car then this set up is for you. you may be interested to know that the "Le Mans" or "S-lines" that come with the -20mm suspension also benefit from these arms in a big way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are the print outs I got...to me it looks like the toe and camber have been adjusted but I aint really technical so you can tell me.

Ive had two S3's

One standard suspension and 10mm spacers front/ 15mm rear...

and this one with (Factory fitted )Quattro GmbH lowered and uprated suspension + same spacer arrangement.

My tyres have always worn evenly. I have had 2 complete sets on each car. And rotate them front to back maybe twice in their life.

Dodgy tyre wear and having to fit adjustable tie bars is fairly common when people have fitted after market lowered /uprated suspension .it happens on the TT's alot too.