Chris NottVolks Autos
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What is needed?

  1. #1
    FazS3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    857

    What is needed?

    Want to fit the new s3 gearknob, what will I need?

    Just the gearknob or do I need the gaiter aswel?

    Isit a straightforward swap over?
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    fingermouse's Avatar
    thats me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,755
    they come with the gator, you also have to remove the plastic ring at the base of the gator and swap it with your old one as the new ones are a different shape. Easy job to do I got one off fleabay for 55 ish
    red to red black to black blue to bits

  4. #3
    MikeA3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Epsom
    Posts
    1,176
    I've been doing mine this morning, the most annoying part was getting the small circular steel clip off the old gearknob.

    Other than that, some patience, a flat head screwdriver for getting the staples out from the gaiter's plastic base, small pliers and a stapler should about cover it.
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

    Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

  5. #4
    FazS3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeA3 View Post
    I've been doing mine this morning, the most annoying part was getting the small circular steel clip off the old gearknob.

    Other than that, some patience, a flat head screwdriver for getting the staples out from the gaiter's plastic base, small pliers and a stapler should about cover it.
    Where did you purchase your one from mate?

    No luck on ebay as of yet!
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

  6. #5
    MikeA3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Epsom
    Posts
    1,176
    Ebay about a month ago now, it did take ages for one to come up though, cost me 55 as well

    Have you tried breakers?
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

    Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

  7. #6
    FazS3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeA3 View Post
    Ebay about a month ago now, it did take ages for one to come up though, cost me 55 as well

    Have you tried breakers?
    Yeah mate have done! keeping a close eye on it!

    Thanks for the info!
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

  8. #7
    grathies's Avatar
    More Points Than Portsmouth FC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portsmouth, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,355
    Well well well Faz wants to get his hand on a knob YET AGAIN!

    On ebay matey there is a bloke on eBay who isnt in the Uk, think hes like Poland or Slovakia or one of those area countrys who normally does them for like 50odd quid, if I see one on there again Ill send you the link mate

  9. #8
    FazS3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by grathies View Post
    Well well well Faz wants to get his hand on a knob YET AGAIN!

    On ebay matey there is a bloke on eBay who isnt in the Uk, think hes like Poland or Slovakia or one of those area countrys who normally does them for like 50odd quid, if I see one on there again Ill send you the link mate

    CHeers buddy! your a lifesaver!!

    Where is the polish chap with all the knobs? lol
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

  10. #9
    Pat J's Avatar
    Getting there

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nth Lincs UK
    Posts
    64
    I got mine from the dealers and was less than 55 and it came with the gaitor and a new clip attached and the base fittings so it clipped straight in no worries.

  11. #10
    grathies's Avatar
    More Points Than Portsmouth FC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portsmouth, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,355
    Pat is that for this style knob:



    And before you start Faz, yes I have loads of pictures of knobs on my pc

  12. #11
    FazS3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by grathies View Post
    Pat is that for this style knob:



    And before you start Faz, yes I have loads of pictures of knobs on my pc
    I have to ask why you have so many knobs on your pc bud??
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

  13. #12
    Pat J's Avatar
    Getting there

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nth Lincs UK
    Posts
    64
    I got the leather one with the long alloy neck to the gaitor and it clipped into the plastic centre panel I will take pics and try and post them up tomorrow

  14. #13
    grathies's Avatar
    More Points Than Portsmouth FC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portsmouth, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,355
    Im just allllll about the knob! I know you like the knob too, I mean look at yoru clubs manager, biggest knob in the game BOI

    Ive got a knob in my facebook friends too Faz

  15. #14
    grathies's Avatar
    More Points Than Portsmouth FC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portsmouth, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,355
    Ah yeah youve got the standard 8L S3 one, this one is the 8P S3 one which I think it a nice bit of kit (and Ive had my hand on a fair few knobs before... worked for Ripspeed once!)

  16. #15
    FazS3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by grathies View Post
    Ah yeah youve got the standard 8L S3 one, this one is the 8P S3 one which I think it a nice bit of kit (and Ive had my hand on a fair few knobs before... worked for Ripspeed once!)
    You knob WHORE!!!!

    STOKE BABYY!!! COMEEEE ONNNN!!!!!!
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO