I've broken my S3 :-(

MIKE GTR

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'd appreciate peoples experiance and advice on the following subject.

My cam belt snapped the other day on my 2001 s3 while doing 70ish mph, i wasn't expecting the diagnosis to be good and it wasn't!

Its done all 20valves, and hit the pistons, furthermore upon inspection the turbo is starting to show signs of wear, so in short I need:

Head reconditioned,
Uprated Pistons
and new turbo.

I've found wossner pistons with 8.5:1 comp for £468 ex vat and i've also been offered a GT28RS turbo for £400 (only 1000 miles use).

The car is mild tune, revo, front mount, miltek cat back. I'm only buying uprated parts becuase there doesn't appear to be miuch difference in price compared to original bits.

I can't find any uprated head details but assume you get the normal results from gas flowing/porting etc, but there doesn't appear to be any big valve heads available so again assume that the head is already fairly effiicient?

Budget is big a factor, but what would people recommend? Am i better off searching for just a standard replacement turbo? is it a lot of work to get the GT28 on?

Reliability is my main aim, i don't want mega power (although it is gutless!) its just it appears to be cheaper to make it quicker rather than just repair it.

Any thoughts appreciated
thx
Mike
progress.gif
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=440259
MIKE GTR View Public Profile Send a private message to MIKE GTR Send email to MIKE GTR Find all posts by MIKE GTR Add MIKE GTR to Your Contacts
trans.gif

Mate gutted for you.

If your wanting a large port head try an AGU head i think it is and maybe a AEB, not too sure though so check first.

With a GT28RS its prob not worth going too OTT on things like ported heads etc as its flow capabilities aren't that great. The 20v head is pretty full with the valve sizes as is, as far as I am aware there isn't much if anything available in 'larger' valves. Supertech ones are the valves you want for reliability (with springs if you are expecting to raise the rev limit).

Large port heads are best for flow but are difficult to get hold of and if you do and the seller knows what it is then expensive too and again prob not worth the expense for what a GT28RS will provide.

Take a look at my build thread if you want some ideas of whats involved in going BT on a budget. I run a GT3071R, std small port head and valves (although I will need to change them), std inlet manifold and currently a std exhaust and mine produces over 380bhp from what is essentially a bolt on turbo conversion with no extra tuning goodies other than larger injectors and rods to cope with the extra torque.

<tuffty/>

What do you think you'd make with a large port and large port SEm manifold with either 70/80mm TB paul?

Universal Turbos have just priced me a new Hybrid K04 for £625 ex vat, pistons are £468 ex vat and head is being looked at as I type so fingers crossed its not goin to be ridiculous money!

So you are going to PM me the contact details for the GTRS arnt you.......:respekt:

Seriously, the head is pretty good in standard form for up to around 350-400 bhp. Its the internals that takes the hit . Are you looking for more in the future? It may well be worth sticking a set of HD rods in there for reliability reasons while its apart, as they are the weakest link.

I'm waiting for him to get back to me on facebook, i'll get his details for you then.

I can have pistons and rods for 765 ex vat, are they really a weak point then? I thought it was revs that killed rods not power/torque. Not really looking for mega power as its my daily driver while the skyline has the engine done.

I'm from a Cossie & RB engine background, all this is german stuff is new to me lol

Its done 47000!!! Assume it went because of age and not use. Service History has been completed on mileage not on lenght of time, a lesson learned there

I'd heard water pump was the normal weak point (plastic impellers??) but at the same time I knew it was due, its my own fault at the end of the day, I just hope this isn't the start of the slippery slope of constant repairs!!

Byzan, just got a reply from my mate, he says he's literally just posted it today to someone in wales for the pricely sum of................£330!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd heard water pump was the normal weak point (plastic impellers??) but at the same time I knew it was due, its my own fault at the end of the day, I just hope this isn't the start of the slippery slope of constant repairs!!

Byzan, just got a reply from my mate, he says he's literally just posted it today to someone in wales for the pricely sum of................£330!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****, ahh well you don't get if you don't ask etc.

Not so good. I had mine changed at only 30,000 just to be safe. Was 5 years old too though.

What do you think you'd make with a large port and large port SEm manifold with either 70/80mm TB paul?

No idea but I guess it would get me closer to the 440 odd bhp the GT30 is capable of....

I can have pistons and rods for 765 ex vat, are they really a weak point then? I thought it was revs that killed rods not power/torque. Not really looking for mega power as its my daily driver while the skyline has the engine done.

Torque kills rods... revs kill the valves as they are 2-piece and have a habit of separating and dropping in to visit the pistons... S3 internals are forged (crank/pistons)... look at the difference between some decent H-Beam and OEM rods...
20090906_CRW_3547.jpg

BT power delivery is different to that of a K04... not as peaky, more pull...

My car is a daily driver and drives as well as it did when it had a K04, I even averaged 26mpg last week.

<tuffty/>