Braided Brake Lines, Yes or No?

S3 Vermin

Reaction score
Right are Braided brake lines worth putting on my S3?
Do they really get rid of some of the spungy feeling in the brake pedal or not! and if they are worth doing what would the best brake fluid to use with them?

Any feed back would be helpful :salute:
:greyrs4:

Yes and no. Braided lines use harder inner lines which do not expand like the standard ones can. Saying that, new standard lines would achieve a similar result IMO as you would have to bleed the system and any air in the system (which is mostly the cause of spongy brakes) 'should' be bled out. I had Goodrich (sp?) lines on my Golf GTI MKII and they did make a difference - but then my old brake line flexi's were over 12 years old so had perished and had started to balloon:ohmy:.

Also remember that braided lines should not be 'clamped' at any point (for eg. when changing a caliper or similar) or the inner liner can crack, keep hold of the plastic end caps supplied with the new braided lines and use that instead. Just my 2p worth...

Goodridge is the correct spelling, have them on my bikes. Last car I fitted some to was a Fiesta Supersport about erm... 15+ years ago

put goodridge on my type r the brakes felt so much better. def a must hace

My brakes are spongy as hell, Got the pump today so will up date you on how much difference it made, I'm hoping top be able to touch it with my toe and stop the car :D I had two brake lines changed when i bought it too, dunno what two though !

I changed all 6 on my Golf MKII, 2 x front, 2 x rear and 2 x rear pressure regulator. Pain in the botty to do the regulator lines but new brake fluid / bleeding of system improved the pedal feel (firmer) and reduced pedal travel (to about half way for full brake pressure as opposed to 3/4 travel!).

The Golf's brakes were still pants in comparison though (239mm vented fronts, we have that diameter on the rear disks (solid) on the A3's!). I can't wait to get my shiny new 312mm on the front. Carriers painted and ready, pads and disks - ready, weather - not ready.:noway: