JMB RetrofitsChris Nott

Thread: S3 HID'S?

1st Gear

Status

S3 HID'S?

i have a 2002 s3 with xenons. im looking at putting HID's ( prob 6000k) in but a few questions first:

1. Can i have hid's dipped and main beam?

2.ive still got some dipped beam ones from my old a3 with facelift lights will these fit?

3. is tyhere a conversion you can do for the fogs?

many thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    not sure mate but are you selling your a3 facelift lights?
    cheers dave

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonezy87 View Post
    i have a 2002 s3 with xenons. im looking at putting HID's ( prob 6000k) in but a few questions first:
    Xenons, HIDs, same....

1. Can i have hid's dipped and main beam?
    No... Xenons have to 'start up' so would be no good as a main beam as you would be unable to flash your headlights and I suspect there may be a law against it or at the very least would fail an MOT

2.ive still got some dipped beam ones from my old a3 with facelift lights will these fit?
    S3 Xenon bulbs are DS2 IIRC, main beam is H7....

3. is tyhere a conversion you can do for the fogs?
    You can get a H7 kit but suspect the combination of xenon dipped and xenon fogs might get you some unwanted attention...

many thanks
    welcome

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

4th Gear

Status
    you can have all beams/fogs converted to HIDs, just get the right kit and fit it on, as for the normal beam they are alredy HIDs but lower 4300K you could change it to 6000K but it wont make a huge different as the S3 has a cloudy housing and there is not much you could improve on that. overall if you have the time its worth doing it.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

***** rent boy

Status
    You are aware that the higher the colour temperature (K) the lower the light output? By getting 6000k you're just producing more glare and less of the light is hitting the road. The S3 projectors are awful, but you can swap them out if you're handy enough. Honda S2000 projectors are regarded as one of the best with a sharp cutoff and good colour.

3rd Gear

Status
    I thought HID's and Xenons were essentially the same thing just the gas was different?

5th Gear

Status
    Xenon and HID are exactly the same technologies. TufftyBloke has already said this!

5th Gear

Status
    LED side lights and 90% brighter main beam is the cheapest option. Never use the fogs unless its super foggy anyway!
    AUTOMAP
    Mobile ECU Remapping Services

automap.remapping@gmail.com
    www.eliteremaps.com

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Anyone got a link to the H7 fogs or just any that are better than the standard as they are ****e.
    Also anyone selling any fogs?

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    6000k too bluey for me :/
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post

No... Xenons have to 'start up' so would be no good as a main beam as you would be unable to flash your headlights and I suspect there may be a law against it or at the very least would fail an MOT

This is actually untrue, you can flash a HID light. Even tho they do need to start up as you correctly said, when you flash your high beam there is a barely noticeable delay

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andy121 View Post
    This is actually untrue, you can flash a HID light. Even tho they do need to start up as you correctly said, when you flash your high beam there is a barely noticeable delay

have you got them in main beam aswel then? wouldnt it muck them up flashing them if they are meant to be warmed up?

cheers
    Last edited by Broken Byzan; 19th November 2009 at 20:36. Reason: un necessary language

Reverse Gear

Status
    have you got them in main beam aswel then? wouldnt it f*** them up flashing them if they are meant to be warmed up?

cheers
    not in my A3,
    I did in my skyline (using H7 Bulbs) and there was no problems there, also in my Mk2 i had them as a H4 bulb (so the same bulb does high and low) and that flashed fine and there was never any problems with either car

they dont need to be warmed up, thats just how they work, kinda like starting a fire, starts little and warms up nice and bright
    Last edited by voorhees; 26th November 2009 at 18:31.

5th Gear

Status
    So what replacement bulbs do you recommend for the side lights (LEDs?) and fogs?

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    wonder how bi-xenons manage to flash same principle
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    Get the real Osram 5k bulbs that are a direct replacement, solved all of my not being able to see at night issues. Some of the cheap ebay bulbs are ****e and don't work properly (in my experience).

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    You are aware that the higher the colour temperature (K) the lower the light output? By getting 6000k you're just producing more glare and less of the light is hitting the road. The S3 projectors are awful, but you can swap them out if you're handy enough. Honda S2000 projectors are regarded as one of the best with a sharp cutoff and good colour.
    I'm interested in this tell me more.
    Always on the lookout for better light.
    are they a direct fit ?
    does it light the road up more so I can effectively see more ?
    I am assuming it means prising the glass off the front of the headlight to swap them ?

James

***** rent boy

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Effect View Post

I'm interested in this tell me more.
    Always on the lookout for better light.
    are they a direct fit ?
    does it light the road up more so I can effectively see more ?
    I am assuming it means prising the glass off the front of the headlight to swap them ?
    The projectors won't be a direct fit, no. Of the many xenon equipped cars I've driven the S3 has to be the worst in terms of output, cutoff and colour. If you're handy enough you can modify the exisitng shroud (the bit that holds the projector in) and put a proper projector in. A list of good projectors:

• Renault Clio/Megane Sports
    • Mercedes E-class
    • BMW E46
    • Mazda 6 (the newer ones)
    • Honda S2000
    All of the above have better cutoffs, wider light output and have a nice colour flicker when you go over bumps.

People in the USA swear by the S2000's and a Yank car called the TSX. Look on hidplanet.com for more info, these guys are real xenon 'enthusiasts'.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    So what replacement bulbs do you recommend for the side lights (LEDs?) and fogs?
    for sidelights use white LEDs from Ultra LEDs, the problem with the ebay ones is they are designed for 12v and being used at 14v all the time kills the resistors really quickly

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    The projectors won't be a direct fit, no. Of the many xenon equipped cars I've driven the S3 has to be the worst in terms of output, cutoff and colour. If you're handy enough you can modify the exisitng shroud (the bit that holds the projector in) and put a proper projector in. A list of good projectors:

• Renault Clio/Megane Sports
    • Mercedes E-class
    • BMW E46
    • Mazda 6 (the newer ones)
    • Honda S2000
    All of the above have better cutoffs, wider light output and have a nice colour flicker when you go over bumps.

People in the USA swear by the S2000's and a Yank car called the TSX. Look on hidplanet.com for more info, these guys are real xenon 'enthusiasts'.
    BMW E46 ones must be late 53 reg and above as they became BiXenons then, the older units aren't much better than the S3's, if at all!
    AUTOMAP
    Mobile ECU Remapping Services

automap.remapping@gmail.com
    www.eliteremaps.com

2nd Gear

Status
    if they aren't a direct fit what work is required to get them to fit ?
    and also I am assuming the glass has to be prised off the front of the light to get to them.

Anyone actually done this, have you got before and after shots to show the difference ?

Regards
    James

***** rent boy

Status
    I don't think anyone here's ever swapped the S3 projectors, but if you look at hidplanet.com and look at what other people have done, it's the same principle. You need to remove the lens and take the headlight apart so you can get to the shroud (the bowl which holds the projector in) and then cut it to accomodate a new projector.