S3 how reliable?

Dumpvalve1

Reaction score
Website
www.bbc.co.uk
Been scouring around for a while for an S3. One question i have is how reliable IS an S3. I had 1.8t for a while around 1 year ago without any issues but what gets me thinking is post after post about a faulty this and not working that (mainly diverter valves/coil packs and MAF's). I understand that this site IS the s3 owners ultimate referance library and its a credit to all you clued up owners out there but it does seems to be quite often. All your views are aprreciated.

ps. hope you guys prove me wrong!

The thing is with forums is that you always get people posting when things go wrong you hardly ever get people posting "My cars still ace and runs like a dream" so a negative image is given to the viewer and this is the same across most car forums.

Ive had my S3 6 months its 3 1/2 years old, its chipped, used as a daily driver and its never skipped a beat, is in superb condition and if the leather seats werent creased i reckon i could almost pass it off as brand new, the quality of the interior and paint is that good it just doesnt wear.

In the current market is there anything that touches the S3 as an overall package, not by a long way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

Agree!

The only problem I had was with the fuel guage, reading was wrong. Simple dealer fix under warrenty for me.

Had the car 4months and 4 1/2 years old.

Chuffed with the car!

very relaible, but have had a new lateral acceleration sensor £300!! and a new door lock fitted £127 all in the space of a few weeks!...argghh but other than that its awesome! gonna be sad when someone comes for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

So far so good with my one...apart from vandalism mine has been spot on touch wood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fairly good overall, but you do tend to get niggles here and there. i would suggest buying a third party warranty, because the real problems are the overblown prices audi dealers charge for parts and in particular labour!!!

On to my 3rd S3 now and have never had anything major go wrong with it. I.e. Nothing the dealer could not fix under warrenty in a day ( if parts were in stock).

In other words, the S3 have been one of the best cars I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Hope you find one, it will bring a grin to your face.

Had mine for 2.5yrs best car I've had so far.

Some probs

1) Gearbox went on 37K, busted selector - funny I always had some gear whine in low gears - think the gearbox was tight anyway.

2) Then a radiator (I think they damaged it taking the gear box out)

3) New header tank (sensor went).

4) Indicator switch at 60K replaced it with a new A3 one so sounds different.

5) Pads lasted very well had the fronts & front discs replaced on 72K.

Interior has faired very well no creaks or rattles, leather has remained supple.

Exterior car is dent free as are the alloys.

Engines never missed a beat though ticks a bit.

Nearly 85K will miss it when it goes in March - possibly S-line diesel sportsback next

The reason i ask is that i'll probably be out of warranty and things could get expensive. Once owned a honda civic vti for 3 years and without any problems whatsoever...not one! (which kinds of puts the type r option in my head). Anyone know if i would be able to purchase a third party warranty? how much? and is all the work carried out by a stealer.

check out motor warranty direct website, they do third party warranties, about 300 quid per year i think.