Thermostat replacement

cadoc

Reaction score
1998 A3 1.8

I need to replace the the thermostat. I've been told by a mechanic that to do this he has to remove the starter motor to get at it.
Is this true as there is no mention of it in the Haynes manual (which seems to describe the replacement as pretty strighforward) ?

Thanks in advance.

if its the same as the s3 then no mate, but dont no for sure about the a3

on s3 all i had to remove was the black metal bracket that holds the dipstick, but again im unsure if its the same setup on a3's

It will be the alternator he's talking about. I didn't even need to unbolt the alternator but you might need to for the A3. There's a guide with pictures knocking about if you do a search.

I did mine also and didn't need to unbolt the alternator. It's a abit of a fiddle I admit, but with a universal joint and some patience it's easy enough. Best advice I can give is to unbolt the bracket which holds the main wires to the alternator (right hand side by the thermo - easy to see when in there), this makes access 100 times easier. Wire can just be manipulated out of the way and you can see much much better and get sockets in that way...

I changed the thermostat on my A3 (1.8T) with the help of my dad without removing the alternator. It would have made the job easier to remove the alternator but it's not necessary.

The job is a little fidlly and space is tight but not enough to warrant the removal of the alternator although it does help to remove a 8mm nut that is bolted to the rear of the alternator casing (it secures the alternator cabling) to allow for a little more space / movement. Removing the alternator would add more time to the job (time = money...). IIRC, the whole job took just over an hour to complete.

Last edited:
I just recently changed the thermostat on my tdi and I found a set of the hinged ratchet spanners (halfords professional half price!) to work a charm for loosening & tightening then a 1/4" drive ratchet, universal joint & rocker for the rest. Didn't need to move the alternator but I could see why some people might choose to.

I changed the thermostat on my A3 (1.8T) with the help of my dad without removing the alternator. It would have made the job easier to remove the alternator but it's not necessary.

The job is a little fidlly and space is tight but not enough to warrant the removal of the alternator although it does help to remove a 8mm nut that is bolted to the rear of the alternator casing (it secures the alternator cabling) to allow for a little more space / movement. Removing the alternator would add more time to the job (time = money...). IIRC, the whole job took just over an hour to complete.

Sorry dude! Saw your edit! lol

Ive bought a new stat to change on my S3, but it didnt come with a new O-ring, which it should aparantly ? Did yours ?

Did this the other day and you dont need to remove the Alternator but it isd a bit tricky as one of the Bolts is akward to get to. but with the right tools i managed it. see the link below i used

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=16925102

I'm still having issues though and just added a thread for help!

Hope it helps and solves your problem