Badger5AH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Thermostat replacement

1998 A3 1.8

I need to replace the the thermostat. I've been told by a mechanic that to do this he has to remove the starter motor to get at it.
    Is this true as there is no mention of it in the Haynes manual (which seems to describe the replacement as pretty strighforward) ?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    if its the same as the s3 then no mate, but dont no for sure about the a3

on s3 all i had to remove was the black metal bracket that holds the dipstick, but again im unsure if its the same setup on a3's

Ross_S4

Status
    cadoc,
    perhaps your mechy means the alternator? I believe in some cases the alternator has to be unbolted and moved out the way?

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    It will be the alternator he's talking about. I didn't even need to unbolt the alternator but you might need to for the A3. There's a guide with pictures knocking about if you do a search.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    I did mine also and didn't need to unbolt the alternator. It's a abit of a fiddle I admit, but with a universal joint and some patience it's easy enough. Best advice I can give is to unbolt the bracket which holds the main wires to the alternator (right hand side by the thermo - easy to see when in there), this makes access 100 times easier. Wire can just be manipulated out of the way and you can see much much better and get sockets in that way...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    I changed the thermostat on my A3 (1.8T) with the help of my dad without removing the alternator. It would have made the job easier to remove the alternator but it's not necessary.

The job is a little fidlly and space is tight but not enough to warrant the removal of the alternator although it does help to remove a 8mm nut that is bolted to the rear of the alternator casing (it secures the alternator cabling) to allow for a little more space / movement. Removing the alternator would add more time to the job (time = money...). IIRC, the whole job took just over an hour to complete.
    Last edited by Imteyaz; 16th November 2009 at 10:00. Reason: Dammit, Welly beat me to it! LOL....
    Imteyaz.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I just recently changed the thermostat on my tdi and I found a set of the hinged ratchet spanners (halfords professional half price!) to work a charm for loosening & tightening then a 1/4" drive ratchet, universal joint & rocker for the rest. Didn't need to move the alternator but I could see why some people might choose to.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imteyaz View Post
    I changed the thermostat on my A3 (1.8T) with the help of my dad without removing the alternator. It would have made the job easier to remove the alternator but it's not necessary.

The job is a little fidlly and space is tight but not enough to warrant the removal of the alternator although it does help to remove a 8mm nut that is bolted to the rear of the alternator casing (it secures the alternator cabling) to allow for a little more space / movement. Removing the alternator would add more time to the job (time = money...). IIRC, the whole job took just over an hour to complete.
    Sorry dude! Saw your edit! lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Ive bought a new stat to change on my S3, but it didnt come with a new O-ring, which it should aparantly ? Did yours ?
    1996 JDM Celica GT Four

Neutral

Status
    Did this the other day and you dont need to remove the Alternator but it isd a bit tricky as one of the Bolts is akward to get to. but with the right tools i managed it. see the link below i used

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=16925102

I'm still having issues though and just added a thread for help!

Hope it helps and solves your problem