Speakers' Strange setup

Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps

Reaction score
Website
www.unit9remaps.co.uk
Well replaced my door cards the other day, when swapping the speakers over, noticed that' front passenger was stickered Nokia, front driver think was the same. Rear Passenger BOSE, and rear driver somthing else as dint have a bose sticker, also i know i havnt a BOSE sub, all i knew was i didnt have a half or full BOSE system, anyone shed any light.

Standard non Bose system uses Nokia or Isophon speakers all round. 4" components in the front and 6.5" coaxials in the rear. They look like this:
A3OEMSpeakers.jpg

Bose system uses 4" drivers all round, heavy duty units in the front (look exactly like their PA 801/802 cab speakers) with Nokia tweeters and the puniest shittiest 4" units in the rear mounted to a big plastic blanking plate to fit the larger hole. They look like this:
A3Boserearspeaker.jpg

Yes that little toy speaker in the middle is your quality Bose upgrade speaker.
If you have a mix then it sounds like previous owner maybe had aftermarket speakers in the rear and replaced them with anything they could get hold of when they came to sell the car, i.e. the wrong speakers. You shouldn't be driving a Bose speaker with the non Bose rear amp as it is a low impedance speaker and will damage th puny little amp inside the tupperware sub. Just simply replace both rears with a cheap aftermarket coaxial is my advice. You'll need some 18mm MDF spacer rings off ebay to fit them.

So the front and rear bose upgrade speakers are the same? Just the rears are in a mahooosive case as opposed to the front ones?

No the fronts and rears are completely different. The rears are as above, the fronts are the more typical Bose drivers that look the same as the ones in the Bose sub:
BoseA3frontspeaker.jpg