Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    dela's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    260

    Instrument cluster problems!

    long story short my timing belt went, spent a nice bit of money rebuilding the engine and now it starts but then cuts out straight away again.

    we straight away realised it was the immobiliser that was cutting in so tryed re-programming the keys but there is no power going to the immobiliser and the DIS doesnt work. Tryed the cluster out of another s3 of the same age and it worked!

    heres the problem, ive bought a second hand cluster but the last letter in the part number is different, mine is;
    8L0920980 L
    and 8L0920980 B is the one ive just bought

    the acctual cluster looks the same except the S3 logo is on the right instead of the left, does anybody know if this will work or not?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    grathies's Avatar
    More Points Than Portsmouth FC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portsmouth, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,355
    Id have said it wont, the letter on the end varies between types, and thats not usually the end of the code

    Typically it would be like 8L0 920 980L 2GR or something like that, its often refered to as a colour code but its all to do with the PR codes associated with the vehicle and what it had on the car when it was made. I have known there to be problems with people trying to code them to the immobiliser before, been a couple of years since I worked for VAG but know that at the time only a dealer could actually do it as you needed a secure dataline to the factory for obvious security reasons.

  4. #3
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,355

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Hi there it's more than just matching the cluster number you will need the SKC code to reprogram the "new" cluster to match your keys and ECU etc

    Also you will need to ensure the soft codes match too

  5. #4
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,722
    Ok 1st thing, is it a new ecu or new engine, cause these things would cause the immo to stop working.

    It seems you're car needs coding again for the immo to match up with keys as the scenario you're explaining is purely cause immo isnt coded based on what you've told us, so no need for new cluster & the new cluster will do the same.

    Take it into audi mate & get it done there, best bet as they will have your cars coding originally anyway & Gekko IIRC does it all over the line now, dealers see very little these days, I am not aware of immo changes on any of the 8L S3's & even the 8P's they all seem the same.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Worksop, Notts
    Posts
    97
    The OP says there's no power to the "immobiliser" and the DIS doesn't work. That could be down to a failed cluster and perhaps a new/replacement one is required.

    You'd need the SKC for both the car and the new cluster to code a new/replacement one in. Audi can do it but they don't see the SKC themselves, GEKO/VAS does it for them automatically. They wouldn't be able to set the mileage to what it should be.

  7. #6
    dela's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    260
    no it doesnt have a new ecu or engine and it deffinitely needs a new cluster or the old one be repaired
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Ok 1st thing, is it a new ecu or new engine, cause these things would cause the immo to stop working.

    It seems you're car needs coding again for the immo to match up with keys as the scenario you're explaining is purely cause immo isnt coded based on what you've told us, so no need for new cluster & the new cluster will do the same.

    Take it into audi mate & get it done there, best bet as they will have your cars coding originally anyway & Gekko IIRC does it all over the line now, dealers see very little these days, I am not aware of immo changes on any of the 8L S3's & even the 8P's they all seem the same.

  8. #7
    dela's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    260
    how is the SKC found?

    Quote Originally Posted by shark_90 View Post
    The OP says there's no power to the "immobiliser" and the DIS doesn't work. That could be down to a failed cluster and perhaps a new/replacement one is required.

    You'd need the SKC for both the car and the new cluster to code a new/replacement one in. Audi can do it but they don't see the SKC themselves, GEKO/VAS does it for them automatically. They wouldn't be able to set the mileage to what it should be.

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Worksop, Notts
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by dela View Post
    how is the SKC found?
    By retrieving it from your ECU and/or instrument cluster with special tools.

  10. #9
    mark_sarah's Avatar
    Limp mode!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    203
    I would'nt risk it with the different part numbers. I had similar problem. I bought cluster with different letter on the end, had it programmed to work in my car, seemed ok at the time. Then noticed later that day when i pushed the remote button, the alarm would go off. The letter will be a variation in the car, for example mine does not have ABS, but the cluster i bought came from a model with ABS. The ABS light stayed on, and i'm guessing that is what was causing the alarm to go off.
    If you replace the cluster, make sure the number matches 100%, or just get yours repaired. I will recommend Sharke to reprogram your clocks, he took about 30 minutes to sort mine, and is extremely helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by dela View Post
    long story short my timing belt went, spent a nice bit of money rebuilding the engine and now it starts but then cuts out straight away again.

    we straight away realised it was the immobiliser that was cutting in so tryed re-programming the keys but there is no power going to the immobiliser and the DIS doesnt work. Tryed the cluster out of another s3 of the same age and it worked!

    heres the problem, ive bought a second hand cluster but the last letter in the part number is different, mine is;
    8L0920980 L
    and 8L0920980 B is the one ive just bought

    the acctual cluster looks the same except the S3 logo is on the right instead of the left, does anybody know if this will work or not?

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO