Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

DSG the wrong way around?

My S3 is back at the Stealers having some work done that was supposed to be comepleted before I picked up the car. Nevermind about the fact that I waited at home twice over lunchtime, once for an hour (the guy who was supposed to pick up my car had a small 'accident' on the way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) and once for 50 mintes after which they actually showed up.

Anyway, the point of the post is that they have given me an A6 1.8T in the meanwhile and it's an automatic which I assume is the new DSG system. When in semi auto mode I found that changing up and down was counter-intuitive (to change up you push the stick forward and not backwards). Does anyone else think this is the wrong way around or is it just me??

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

Re: DSG the wrong way around?

I don't think they do the DSG system on anything other than the new A3's and TT's at the moment. I think it must have been the tiptronic you were driving.
    I drove a 3.2Q A3 with DSG at the weekend, and didn't find that an issue (i think you pulled to change up), but I spent most of the time using the flappy padels. Wasn't very impressed with the car or the gearbox to be honest.

2nd Gear

Status

I guess it must have been the tiptronic. Didn't like it anyway. Fully auto was fine though. Much quicker than I expected for a car with less power than mine but probably 50% heavier.

5th Gear

Status

Should this not be in the "New A3/Sportback Forum (8P)" because I don't know of any A3/S3 (8L) which has a DSG gearbox!

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Imola S3 said:
    Should this not be in the "New A3/Sportback Forum (8P)" because I don't know of any A3/S3 (8L) which has a DSG gearbox!

[/ QUOTE ]

As he was in a A6 shouldn't it be on the A6 forum?

Don't think it really matters.

2nd Gear

Status

Maybe but this is home teroritery to the lad,its full of strange faces in other forums plus they may not agree with his views so its safer todo it here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    berts S3 said:
    Maybe but this is home teroritery to the lad,its full of strange faces in other forums plus they may not agree with his views so its safer todo it here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No space to post in the A6 forum because of all the tumble weed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

3rd Gear

Status

I was discussing the very same thing on tyresmoke, all bmw steptronic boxes you pull bacck as you go up the gears and push forward as you go back down.
    It is natural to do this imho, in a plane you pull back to accelerate and the same in a boat, even in a car the nose rises slightly as you accelerate so it makes sense to tap it back, and as you brake and the nose dives slightly it makes sense to tap it forward.

1st Gear

Status

I had a courtesy car of a 3.2 V6 TT with the DSG box when I had my service at Plymouth Audi.

I found this very same thing with the TT! It felt very strange, pushing forwards to change up etc. so I just stuck to the paddles behind the wheel!
    Although this became difficult as well if you suddenly needed to change gear whilst cornering any small amounts as you loose the positions of the paddles if your hands move at all!!!

I prefer the S3, but do love the sound of the V6...

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gizze View Post
    I was discussing the very same thing on tyresmoke, all bmw steptronic boxes you pull bacck as you go up the gears and push forward as you go back down.
    It is natural to do this imho, in a plane you pull back to accelerate and the same in a boat, even in a car the nose rises slightly as you accelerate so it makes sense to tap it back, and as you brake and the nose dives slightly it makes sense to tap it forward.
    No you dont "in a plane you pull back to accelerate" you pull back on the control column to climb, and you push the throttle forward to increase power and pull back on the throttle to decrease power, pushing the control column forward will induce forward pitch and the aircraft will dive and accelerate

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Holy thread reserection Bat man !!

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Haha love that one minty. Why though do people revive pointless threads????
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

5th Gear

Status
    Lol

I drive a Freelander occassionally which is the same tiptronic gearbox layout. Pushing the "stick" forward to go up a gear. I.e from first to second.

Pulling back then does it downward. I took to this instinctively. Hadn't even thought about it and found myself doing it.?

Not sure why you find it strange. Perhaps you are backwards! lol <joke> :D

G

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    This forum might not be the quickest in the world but you get an answer in the end, even if that is 5 years later
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread