Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    3rd Gear

Status

High octane fuel

Hi,
    Having a discussion with a friend of mine who has a fiesta st, I was saying that I use high octane fuel (normaly shell) and it does make a difference to the performance - to me the car feels more responsive. I could how ever be thinking this even though there is no effect.

My friend was saying there won't be any effect on performance as majority of cars including his st and my s3 are optimised for standard fuel and in order to make any difference the ECU must be mapped to make use of higher octane fuel.

What's the truth here, and how does higher octane give more power in standard cars? I don't want to be spending more on a fuel that realistically makes no difference, even though in my mind I think I feel a difference?!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Higher octane fuel has been proven to help improve engine performance.

Nothing to do with audi but

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/t...t_Report.shtml

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/t...s_Update.shtml
    BMW 123d M-sport

S3 Gone
    Lotus Elise SC
    Seat Ibiza GTI

1st Gear

Status
    i currently have a tank of the Tesco 99 (first time i have used it). dont know why but my car doesnt seem to be as punchy as when run on V-Power (and where i live, the V_power is cheaper). might be an underlying problem i have with another part of the car. but i dont think il be going out of my way to buy Tesco again. Just my opinion though.

Really need to get VAG-COM working and learn how to log the cars performance

2000 Audi S3
    1967 VW Beetle
    Where Do I go From Here?

2nd Gear

Status
    I tend to get more MPG on higher octane fuels also so the cost works out about the same!

Personally can't tell the difference in how my car runs with any super unleaded fuel. I tend to use sainsburys just cos there super is about 5p a litre cheaper by me! Got a shell garage over the road and use the V power occasionally but I can't tell the difference between to 2.

Neutral

Status
    to be honest i dont see any difference, i just use the normal fuel and i dont see any difference in mpg

Neutral

Status
    I used Asda stuff the other day, mpg went down to 26 and my car runs a little "rough" . When using V power my mpg 30ish and it runs smooth.

Apparently BP 97 is made purely from hydrocarbons meaning it is genuine 97 RON. Where as Tesco 99 is made buy using additives to give an almost false 99 RON.

Supermarkets basically buy fuel from the cheapest source so the tank of fuel could be a mix of fuel from different manufacturers.
    BMW 123d M-sport

S3 Gone
    Lotus Elise SC
    Seat Ibiza GTI

MTM S3, Aprilia RSV Mille

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottynic View Post
    I used Asda stuff the other day, mpg went down to 26 and my car runs a little "rough" . When using V power my mpg 30ish and it runs smooth.

Apparently BP 97 is made purely from hydrocarbons meaning it is genuine 97 RON. Where as Tesco 99 is made buy using additives to give an almost false 99 RON.

Supermarkets basically buy fuel from the cheapest source so the tank of fuel could be a mix of fuel from different manufacturers.
    Trust me it wont just be hydrocarbons, it would be a ron of about 85 with out the additives.

Regards
    Chris
    S3 MTM
    RX8 - Thankfully gone
    Corolla T Sport - Gone
    Celica GT4 ST205 - Gone
    Clio 172 - Gone

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Always used V power, seen a good increase on my MPG when compared to normal unleaded and also the car seems to be more responsive.

I can probably notice the MPG increase more due to M-Way driving compared to round town.

6th Gear

Status
    i noticed an improvement using v power over bp ultimate let along comparing v power to norml petrol. smoother, better response and better mpg
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

2nd Gear

Status
    They did a test on this on 5th Gear and Shell petrol does inmprove your mpg and bhp,only by a little tho.

A3 1.8 TURBO| RS6 18INCH ALLOYS | FORGE 007 | SMOOTHED O/E BOX WITH COLD AIR FEED | COILOVERS | MOTECH RE-MAP | FULL CREAM LEATHER | FORGE DV RELOCATION | FORGE TIP HOSE|SILICONE BOOST HOSES|REMOVED REAR WIPER|G60 FLYWHEEL & VR6 CLUCTH|MILTEK CAT BACK DISCREET SYSTEM|312MM BRAKE UPGRADE|UPRATED DOG BONE MOUNT.

6th Gear

Status
    yea saw that, depending on what sort of car you had impacted on the gains you got. what was interesting was the improvements of torque in the subaru when complaring the petrol vs vpower
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

6th Gear

Status
    I have tried many, always go back to v-power though, gives better mpg and a good punch.
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    My car is specifically mapped for v-power, therefore it's the only fuel I put in!
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Another S3 owner....

Status
    I think the main reason for using super is the effect it has on keeping the engine clean and running sweet. So to all those who do not notice any mpg or power improvements rest assured your engine internals will be clean and last longer.

I personally don't use super - call me a smoker !
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

5th Gear

Status
    Its personal choice i guess. Those who are price conscious and those that are performance conscious.

Its been proven in increases power and is noticeable on the road. Those that can't notice it aren't trying hard enough or don't want to notice it!

I never use normal 95 but various brands of super depending on location. I prefer Tesco 99 or V power though!
    AUTOMAP
    Mobile ECU Remapping Services

automap.remapping@gmail.com
    www.eliteremaps.com

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    The power output is rated on the 1.8T using 98 RON fuel with less power and therfore economy with 95 RON.

Some normal cars are designed to run on 95 and sticking 98 in can have little or no effect

5th Gear

Status
    Those will be non-performance cars though which i'd understand wouldn't benefit from super!
    AUTOMAP
    Mobile ECU Remapping Services

automap.remapping@gmail.com
    www.eliteremaps.com

6th Gear

Status
    i always use 95ron & am pretty used to how the car behaves when using it, i put some ultimate in & was quite impressed with the difference / results.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottynic View Post

Might be of interest about Tesco fuel - not from different manufacturers at all.... http://www.petrolprices.com/greenergy.html

I use Tesco 99 and V Power and defo can tell the difference when giving it beans. And I get more MPG, plus it produces a cleaner burn... so I always give it the thumbs up...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Steady Eddy

Status
    Working for one of the 'big 5' (shell/bp/esso/total/texaco) I can tell you that this is true.. they load base product and their own additives are normally injected when loaded on the truck. The same with their super..

They called him mellow yellow.

Status
    V-power & Tesco 99 defo make a differance, If you run it all the time the ECU will adapt to the higher octane rating, if you let this happen then switch back to supermarket 95 most drivers will notice a differance.

On alot of cars its advised to used super,normal 95 can be used but to expect a loss of beans.

I know from experience that Audi FSI engines don't like 95 ron one bit, not some much the newer ones where FSI is nothing more than direct injection but the original TRUE lean burn FSI engines were only happy when sipping on the good stuff.

Ewan.
    210hp 8L S3 quattro.

5th Gear

Status
    I've used Shell Optimax/V-power fuel for years now and have always noticed a difference vs standard 95 RON fuel. I did switch to BP Ultimate for a period of time, but to be honest I never found it as good. Car just feels more "sprightly" / "whizzy" on the V-power, along with the mpg/engine benefits.

Why have a performance car & then bung fuel in it that reduces the performance?

I never use supermarket fuels, but am having trouble convincing the Mrs of this...

Then again she never uses supermarket brand shampoo and is having trouble convincing me of that!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Junky View Post
    My car is specifically mapped for v-power, therefore it's the only fuel I put in!

Same here, good old Mike
    revo'd