S3 Driving Position - Too High?

StephenBogan

Reaction score
I've had my car for a year and a half and still find myself constantly fidling with the seat controls to put the seat down to give a more 'in the car' feel. I had a A3T a few cars back that had an ideal driving position where I could drop the seat right down and it felt real good.

Question is, is there anything that can be done about it, or am I stuck with it?

(Apart from fitting a pair of after market Recaros, which I am seriously considering as I love everything else about the car.)

Cheers,

Stevie

When I got mine, I was fiddling with the seat for ages, I too can not seem to find a good driving position, I have the seat as low as it will go, Tilted back and slightly reclined. It's about the best position I can find.

I think the position is the best in any of my cars yet. It just annoys me when I have to let someone in the back seats, which tends to put the seat far forward again and it therefore needs re-adjusting.

I find the bottom of the steering column too low and I bash my right knee on it sometimes when braking.
I used to have a really comfortable position but made the mistake of moving the seat when waxing the leather - I haven't got fully comfortable since...

I can fully relate to your problem, I find I get back ache after a while in the position I drive in, however I tend to have my seat as high as it will go, slightly reclined with the lumbar support jabbing you in the back.

Think I might try your technique pure, and put the seat right down.

Have some simalar problems as others but the main one is always putting seat back after its been moved it seems to take a few days to get it back rught again,wish they put presets on them would have made life a lot easyier

I was in my mates corrado the other day, I much prefer that driving position, much lower to the road.

Driving an S3 is like sitting on a bar stool.

I also find the driving position pretty high and i have it on the lowest setting. but i do find the seats overall are very comfortable and i dont ache after a long drive.

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
I was in my mates corrado the other day, I much prefer that driving position, much lower to the road.

Driving an S3 is like sitting on a bar stool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to agree on that. My Beemers got a much nicer driving position than my A3 and great sport seats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I used to get back ache from the recaros and found it was because the seat was adjusted too low. The base of the seat was sloping back (down at the rear) which was causing this pain (ar*e on the floor, knees in the air position) I adjusted the seat to a more upright position (Base of the seat nearly level) and my bad back problems have gone!

Use the hight adjustment switch (not the rake adjustment) to raise the angle of the seat a little - it might help sort the pain.

Hope this helps
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
David_Moon said:
I think the position is the best in any of my cars yet. It just annoys me when I have to let someone in the back seats, which tends to put the seat far forward again and it therefore needs re-adjusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found the best technique to put the seat back is to push back at the very base of the seat back, making the squab move right back to its original position before pushing the seat back into place. If you do this rather than simply push the top of the seat or the handle it does actually return to the original position. I regularly have passengers and it's not proved a problem since learning this trick.

I agree the seat is too high though.

[ QUOTE ]
Robthehungrymonkey said:
drove a TVR at the weekend, came out in agony!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the TVR driving position, i.e. a*se dragging on the floor, is a much better than the S3. I've got both a S3 and a Chimaera, the S3 is far too high, even compared to the A4 I had before it.

Ok the Chim is low, people in minis look down on you, but the seats give great support and I've never had any problem with them...probably too busy waiting for the rear end to slide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Rich

TO be honest it was the seat, not the position. I have suffered before in most cars, but the Recaro's in my S3 seem to do my back a lot of good. The Chimaera I didn't think had a comfortable seat, very supportive, but that was about it. Along with the noise just going through town, and general lack of room, it shattered my dream of a TVR as an evryday car!! Oh well.

I know what you mean about the seats themselves, the A4 seats used to cripple me and I bought that to do the motorway miles!! oh happy driving!!

The Chims are well worn seats ('97 car) and therefore like a leather trimmed soft bucket that you sort of fall into! Good support for about a 2 inch band in the middle of your back and that's it!!

But the S3s are the most comfy and supporting (probably because they adjust so much) but they need to be set lower in the car

Hold on, you don't like the noise of the Chimaera?!? Thats the best bit!!! (Oh and fact it can see off the majority of cars on the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Rich

I love TVRs. A mate used to have a Griffith 500 and I always got out of it grinning uncontrollably. I like my S3 but it feels pretty tame after 5 litres of V8 power, and that sound!

The S3 is great for shopping and giving lifts to friends but my ultimate car has to be the T350 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I know what you mean, driving the S3 after Chim it feels like I'm driving a corsa or something equally as under powered!!

With a 0-60 under 5 seconds and a back end that steps out if you're a bit too happy with the go pedal it's great...I love the way it sounds when driving through the under passes of Leeds and the fact that small children drop there sweets to cover there ears...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

I can see what you mean about the noise, it's ok tootaling around town or A roads, but if you're doing a lot of motorway driving take a pair of ear plugs with you, I got headaches the first couple of times on the motorway and they weren't big journeys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif that's when the S3 comes out to play...