BHP or torque?

Kunit

Reaction score
Been trying to decide for ages what to do with my s3 and its now diong my head in. I either go Bt and have some lovely BHP figures to boast about down the pub but minimal torque or hybrid with lower BHP but plenty of torque to pin me back in my seat. Surely hardcore acceleration is better than a bhp figure that is of no real use anyway? All my own opinion from using the web for info but thought it would be good to hear from people that have actually experienced this.

I don't have an upgraded turbo - just a remap - but an MTM remap with a lot of torque (261 bhp / 311 lb/ft). I'd go for the torque!

I'd go for something like the gt28rs, about 340 bhp and 320 ftlbs with spool about 3200 rpm

bhp absolutely does matter. Its just the torque is what pushes the car along.

I'd possibly go BT now. Or perhaps a hybrid but still put in uprated rods.

i spent ages looking into this and never decided what way to go hybrid is a good option but it wont give you much over a stage2 mapp just a little more bhp to go with the torque but the turbo wont be working as hard so reliability would be better, where as a relativly big turbo such as the garrett gt28rs is a happy medium will give off same level of torque but will give you the bhp on top, torque is good to get you up and running but bhp is what keeps you going once your off,

BHP figures to boast about down the pub

True if you want to seem good infront of mates with a pint.
But if your only using the car on the road then definitely go for torque, if a mate challenges you and you have little torque and they've had a remap or hybrid then they're gonna pull in front every time. IMO i prefer being shot back into my own seat and watching other people lack behind. But its whatever you prefer. Sometimes a car can have high bhp but doesnt use it all efficiently.

I'd go big Turbo, i know it's the expensive root but if your going to do it, do it properly...

There has been mixed responses on the reliabilty of going the hybrid root, your asking a lot out of the K04, if money allowed I'd get a Garret...

Reliability would be my biggest concern...

Last edited: