Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    OCD clean

Status

A3 tdi fuel economy

Just thought i would see what the rest of you a3 tdi owners are getting. Mine is a non pd engine and i am getting around 90 - 100 miles out of Ł10 worth of diesal.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Thats really good, whats your driving style like?

i.e do you drive with optimum fuel consumption in mind and change gears at 2.5 thousand revs or a more spirited driver who changes more at 4 thousand revs?

A3 TDI Sport

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sulaiman View Post
    Thats really good, whats your driving style like?

i.e do you drive with optimum fuel consumption in mind and change gears at 2.5 thousand revs or a more spirited driver who changes more at 4 thousand revs?
    There is no gain to be had if you rev a tdi engine past 3000 rpm ! If you wanna drive ecconomical in a diesel just change at 1600 rpm, before the turbo spools. Feel the engine and dont let it labour just let the clutch out and the torque will pull you allong...Also, coasting in gear does not burn any fuel as the inertia from the wheels/transmission is turning the engine so the pump injects no fuel. Dont do it for prolonged period of time as the fuel is cooling the pump's rotary head and with no lubrication they wear out quicker.

OCD clean

Status
    I drive pretty steady to be honest dont thrash her. Never go above 3 as said above nothing to be gained.

1st Gear

Status
    Thats bang on what I used to get out of my A3 tdi 110bhp 90-100 miles out of Ł10 so I used to see it as costing me 10p a mile.
    Audi S3 2001. Black on Black. OE Sat Nav/Freeview. Bose. 18" Audi/BBS Splits. 10+16mm Spacers. KW Coilovers. Forge DV,tip and intercooler pipes. KnN Panel Filter. Oh and the essential Re-map. GONE

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have an '03 pd130 sport with 120k on the clock, sorry to say I've no mods (except an ipod link) despite owning it for 2 yrs

Normally I get ~50mpg doing my normal commute but the other week I was returning from Derby on a work trip with no rush to get back to the grind so just sat it at 70 and cruised along the M6.... It was averaging 62mpg for the journey, awesome economy for a big heavy car :D

OCD clean

Status
    Great aint it
    99 Audi a3 tdi sold....
    56 Audi a3 2.0 tdi sline dsg sportback sold
    06 Audi a3 2.0 tdi sport sold
    2001 Audi a3 1.8 20v turbo sport ( new project draining my wallet )

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    These quotes are extactly why my S3's going up for sale soon Im getting a horrible MPG and use V-Power...Cant wait to run a car at Ł10 for 100 miles! Almost sounds to good to be true.

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

OCD clean

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 HODGE View Post
    These quotes are extactly why my S3's going up for sale soon Im getting a horrible MPG and use V-Power...Cant wait to run a car at Ł10 for 100 miles! Almost sounds to good to be true.
    It's certainly great, before i had mine i was running a t5 with 300 brake great fun kept with 911's but the fuel was a real killer. I mean i am talking averaging 17 mpg around town. Dont get me wrong the a3 wont come near the performance of the t5 but it still goes well handles as good if not better than the t5 and the fuel economy just put's a big grin on my face.
    99 Audi a3 tdi sold....
    56 Audi a3 2.0 tdi sline dsg sportback sold
    06 Audi a3 2.0 tdi sport sold
    2001 Audi a3 1.8 20v turbo sport ( new project draining my wallet )

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    There is no gain to be had if you rev a tdi engine past 3000 rpm ! .
    If you have the five speed box you need over 3000rpm to get to 100mph.

I've kept my fuel/mileage records, the worst was 43mpg and the best was 59mpg.
    If thats too exact for you I usually drive for 500miles or so and then fill up with between Ł40 and Ł50 worth of fuel.

I tend to drive briskly but with economy in mind. I have a killer commute though - 17.5 miles of bottlenecks in town and fast dual carriageway with lots of roundabouts. Commuting gets me around 44-47mpg.
    The 59mpg tank was done in rural Ireland on small roads but I did manage 49mpg on a high speed run to Edinburgh and back. The six speed box would make a hell of a difference to that though.

Its quite possible to drive around town and keep the revs below 1400 using 1st, 2nd and 5th gear.
    1998 A3 TDI 110 3door.

1st Gear

Status
    I’ve got a 5speed box and mine pulls hard from 2k to 4k rpm. Get 50mpg on the motorway mix of a blast and medium paced cruise. Around town is more like 36mpg.

I would like to drive with economy in mind but then I remember TDi's have issues with carbon build up so often give it a good blast to stop any boost problems occurring.

New turbo after many thousand miles, or spread the cost over a longer period with the occasional spirited drive. hmm

A3 TDI Sport

A12 Road eater

Status
    love the fact i dont have to worrie about the cost of fuel to much in mine i can easily get to work and back for the week on a tener. mine is a 2003 130 6 speed and thats enough for me lots of low down power and pull.

Allways wanted to go euro!

2nd Gear

Status
    well my car has a drinking habbit! Infact it could of taken on George Best! I don't even like to look at the MPG

anyone want a race tho? lol

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansmith View Post
    well my car has a drinking habbit! Infact it could of taken on George Best! I don't even like to look at the MPG

anyone want a race tho? lol
    Think mine needs to go to Rehab......Ill race you Dan

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 HODGE View Post
    Think mine needs to go to Rehab......Ill race you Dan
    I'd have to hope that them heavy wheels of yours slow u down what a lovely day in sunny sunny bournemouth hey!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Im running a standard 2006 1.9tdi, getting 650 miles on a full tank,i i have changed my driving style to get this kind of mileage,i did drive like i stole it ,now its like miss daisy, which must be arond 62 mpg,,

Reverse Gear

Status
    i've got 1.9 tdi 130 brake 6 speed box and i get 500+mile out of a tank which cost around Ł54. i dont drive like its a sunday but drive it at my own pace and of course got that little extra grunt for the slow arse drivers haha.

6th Gear

Status
    those little diesels are pretty nippy too

tbh at the moment i can "suffer" fuelling my S4 at the moment. 29mpg average on the motorway. 24-25mpg around town.

my sounds better in tunnels though

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1973 View Post
    It's certainly great, before i had mine i was running a t5 with 300 brake great fun kept with 911's but the fuel was a real killer. I mean i am talking averaging 17 mpg around town. Dont get me wrong the a3 wont come near the performance of the t5 but it still goes well handles as good if not better than the t5 and the fuel economy just put's a big grin on my face.
    I have never had any trouble with T5's..... yet you say they will keep with 911's
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold