S3 rear differential

kachnak

Reaction score
Hello, I hear some bad sound from rear side my car, but only when I start moving from 0km/h and steering wheel is fully left or right. When I start moving forward there is no bad sound. I hope that will be rear wheel bearings, but my friends said it will be differential. What do you think? I will go to my mechanic next week.

Is it possible replace audi S3 1999 210hp rear differential by audi TT 2002 225hp differential? Are they same?
Thank you.

Try changing your haldex oil and filter if you havent already. Under the same driving conditions you mentioined,i used to get a grinding noise. I changed the above and it was sorted.

Thank you. So I try to change oil and filter. Do you know what type of oil must be used there?

Last edited:
It's special haldex oil, it's available from vw or audi dealers and should be about a tenner. I can't remember how much the filter is but it's not expensive. It sorted the problem I had so hopefully you'll be lucky

Just to let you know - I just had my oil and filter changed yesterday and it also cured this issue for me.

i too have a vibration coming from the rear wheels when moving off from standstill on either left or right full lock. will try oil replacement and hopefully will sort the problem