Reprogramming with only 1 key

Crazypete00

Reaction score
I know there are loads of threads on how to reprogram your key when you have 2 or more workings keys, but if you only have one key, and that key needs reporgramming what do you do.

Well i just tried it and it worked.

1. Get in the car, wind the drivers window down.
2. start the car - or go to the on position (i had to start it to stop the alarm going off after getting in using the key in the door)
3. take the key out and lock the door by turning it in the lock (while sitting in the car)
4. press the unlock button once
5. wait 5 seconds press unlock again
6. then press lock
7. take the key out the lock and it should now work.

just thought i would let everyone know incase you ever have any problems.

hope this helps

Does that mean you can get a new key fob and program that to your car using this method if you've got a key that does work?

depends what doesnt work, theres 2 parts to the key.
1. the remote part (with either 2 or 3 buttons)
2. The key part which also has the immobiliser built in.

Using the method above you can program the remote part to work but not the key - immobiliser.

Slightly off topic but I have a brand new key (both parts) that I bought off someone on here. I am guessing I will need to get a new 'key' cut to my lock.

Where is the best place to get one from? Audi ?

ye you will need to get it cut, anywhere can do it aslong as they have a laser cutter (i think they have to be laser cut)

that will unlock your door, but it wont start your car. to get the immobilser programmed thats a trip to Audi which costs big bucks.

The remote part can be programmed using the method above or.

1. Insert working key into ignition - turn to on position
2. open window (incase you lock it and the key wont unlock it)
3. put the not working key into the door and lock it
4. with the key still in the door press the unlock button twice (as its your second key) once if its your first (your indicators should flash)
5. wait 5 seconds
6. press unlock again
7. press lock
8. remove key and it should work.

whats the use though, if it wont then start the car? Surely only good for getting into the car if you lock the keys in, which you'd be able to do with the metal key since you need to have that to program the fob, anyway.

So unless i am issing something, I dont see the point?

my 1 and only key does start the car, i just needed to change the battries and after i did that the remote stopped working.

EDIT: also if you had a key which wouldnt start your car you give it to your Mrs, she then thinks woo he must love me to give me keys to his car, but you'll always know your car is safe! :hubbahubba:

Has anyone else actually tried this to see if it works? I have a problem with my a4 key and want to make sure that this method works b4 going to the dealers......I'm having no luck at the moment and the dealers want £150+vat from me!!!!! HELP!!!!!

worked on my S3. done it twice now. once after replaceing the battery and the second time my key went through the washing machine, had to replace the battery again.