How Low Did You Go?? Suspension

Barks

Reaction score
Hello, I am planning to lowering my ming blue S3 which is currently on the standard 17" wheels. I am looking at KW 30mm front and 25mm shock and spring set with the view to buying BBS CH 18 reps.

Apparently H&R 25mm springs and B8 shocks is the best combo but works out a bit pricey.

Has anyone got a photos with information on setup to give me any more ideas.

Thanks

Hi I have My S3 lowered with the KW suspension kit 25/30 mm and I am having 18 inch on it.
See picture for the results
CIMG5946.jpg

CIMG5952.jpg

I have the KW Springs and weitec dampers

P6260755.jpg

The ride using this set up is very comfortable, i do like the way H+R springs make the S3 sit though

Sandip how much did yours? F-30 R-25? do you think it is noticable differerence compared to the H&R -25mm?

Yep, mines 30fr 25rr, the KW's tend to make the rear squat a little which i quite like, the H+R look more evenly lowered, with the right offset though you can get both the KW and the H+R's looking nice, CH's will look nice with which ever you choose. The H+R - B8 combo is very good but pricey, the KW's are good allround:thumbsup:

Apex 30mm + B8's on mine... will post a pic once I get some daylight and washed her of course :)

I had Eibach Pro (25mm F 20mm R) and didn't like the way she sat on them but the ride was spot on. Got some Apex 30mm and the ride height is spot on but make the front a tad crashy on crappier roads. Still rides real nice though when there isn't pot hole...

<tuffty/>

Thanks sandip, has anyone got H&R setup??

This is the H&R/Bilstein set-up:

DSCF0726.jpg

A few things to consider:
If you are changing springs and dampers, and go -20mm or lower, you run the risk of scuffing your sump. That's with stiffer dampers...mine was scuffed.

Change the springs only, and stick to worn, poor, Audi dampers and you risk doing more that just scuffing your sump.
By -30mm, on standard dampers, I'd say it's a very real risk of smashing the sump...so be aware of that.

Also, if you lower even 20mm, you should budget for adjustable tie-bars at the rear.
You can do without...and get WAY too much rear negative camber which gives huge inner edge tyre wear and unpredictable handling...

Or you can fit them, adjust them properly, and suffer no adverse rear tyre wear, get better handling - more predictable - as well as far better drive and much more confidence.

Just something else to consider...and add to the cost!

I've had my KW's -25rr on for a few tyre/alloy changes and i've had no uneven tyre wear at the rear and it handles well, i've had it aligned twice as i was getting inner tyre wear on the front. I say get it lowered, if you start experiencing inner wear at the rear get tie bars as Essthree has advised, i totally respect Essthree's post, just passing my experience on:salute:

Found this too on the 8L pics thread, bbs ch's and H+R:)
0604200016.jpg

Last edited:
Ess_three The adjustable tie bar was one of those things on the bottom of my wish list (not very interesting) it might have to edge up the list mmm. I definitely plan to change the dampers at the same time, maybe a homemade ally sump guard is in order as the plastic one is missing and there seems to be excess of speed ramps around gloucetershire.
Thanks everyone for the photos and info, any more welcome!

I've had my KW's -25rr on for a few tyre/alloy changes and i've had no uneven tyre wear at the rear and it handles well, i've had it aligned twice as i was getting inner tyre wear on the front. I say get it lowered, if you start experiencing inner wear at the rear get tie bars as Essthree has advised, i totally respect Essthree's post, just passing my experience on:salute:

Found this too on the 8L pics thread, bbs ch's and H+R:)

Nice photo, KW shocks and springs seems like it would be worth ago for the sub £400 spend, that will leave more pennies for some decent tyres. Cheers

Ess_three The adjustable tie bar was one of those things on the bottom of my wish list (not very interesting) it might have to edge up the list mmm. I definitely plan to change the dampers at the same time,

Sadly these go hand in hand with dropping a Quattro (S3 or A3) but worth doing... The B8+H&R-25mm+tie bars is a tried and tested combo... you will NOT be disappointed having splashed the extra on these... best thing I ever did for mine...

maybe a homemade ally sump guard is in order as the plastic one is missing and there seems to be excess of speed ramps around gloucetershire.

Haven't they just... We got those sump busting individual lane things up in where I live... I have to go into the middle of the road to feel safe enough to get over them. Not that Gloucestershire roads are any good anyway... Cheltenham roads are complete rubbish!!!

<tuffty/>

BArks, thay are the 18 inch S4 replica's.
On the 4th picture you see they are a bit sharper than the S3 wheels.

There are more here on the forum having the S4 reps

Sandip.....I do love the Noggy blue and Black combo you have going on.....looks awesome

Paul S3 - how's the ride on the KWs?
That's how i'd like mine to look, but I still want a decent ride (lots of potholes around here!).
Cheers!

Kw rides perfect. It is stiffer than original, but not to stif. I am using the car as my daily and that's no problem at all. Here in Holland they are fond of traffic bumps etc and i have no problems with them.

wheels are standing nice, front and back equal en handling is great. I cannot give you any negative things about this setup.

I think it is low enough because I am not a fan of the too much lowered look. Wheels are perfect in the arches right now and that is wat I was looking for.

This is the H&R/Bilstein set-up:

DSCF0726.jpg

Tis a nice level. Got myself some B8's and H&R's too. Just need to get hold of the tie bars and arbs but not it a rush as wont fit them untill later next year.

Wheels look good. Need to get mine sorted as I curbed one of them :(. Thinking maybe polished to match the mirrors.

Thanks to everyone for the information. The final question do you spend £385 for the KW matched set of springs and shocks or £750 for the B8 and H&R. There is not much between them in looks, but is the ride that much better???

My S3 is pretty low on FK coilovers with shortend front droplinks, dont have any problem with sump or anything, and I live in devon, lots of lanes.

DSC00663.jpg

so could you put eibach 50mm kit on a 06 a3 sline

The most popular choice is the H&R springs with the Bilstein B8's but for value for money the KW kit is a really good option and as said gives a great stance. Also think about adjustable rear tie bars when lowering the S3 8L's.

Damian @ DPM Performance

DPM, Just had a KW kit delivered to my door from you guys! Nice and clean

70mm on front and 40 on back.... jom coilovers :D

a3 not s3