Best setup for reliable 380-400hp..??

SteveBAM

Black '03 S3
Reaction score
hi im doing some research on big turbo setups for my '03 S3 and would like any info on the best big turbo setup for 380-400hp. My main concern would be reliability and comfort, I don’t want to turn my car into a racing machine, I just want to have some fun with the Porsches now and then.. and by saying that I mean that I would like my car to start as normal, and not have full boost at 5000rpm.!!! I will be getting a dual plate clutch which might give my left leg abit of a work out but that is probably something I will have to deal with.
I will be doing a complete engine build and was thinking of going with an APS or IHI VF 22 turbo.
Any advice or help would be appreciated..

APS fit jabbasport stuff. You'll need the Garret IHI hybrid they developed with Owens, to get a proper 380hp.

You'l od it on a 1.8, you will do it easier with better spool on a 1.9L bottom end.
Dont go mad with revs, the valvetrain is suspect after 7500, maybe sooner! But a set of one piee valved is pricey and not a guarantee you wont have problems.

VF22 wont get you that power, and IHI's are not reliable when pushed to higher boost levels, where they warp their exhaust housings and crack, and can suffer bearing failure from overspeeding

supertech valves have been in my ibiza racecar since 2005 and revved to hell... zero problem. Where I hear of reported issues, spring coil bind and misfitting springs to mind. They are far more reliable on higher revving 1.8t than standard 2 piece valves (which snap their heads off)

Tufftyblokes thread on his GT30 build thread is on here as a good in depth read.

383bhp so far on stock exhaust.

ok, well ive been reading through plenty of posts and the other day I came upon a thread in the US on BT. It looks like a lot of people are in the states have turned to Precision turbos. My attention was caught by the 5557 billet model, which comes out with a 0.48 and 0.63 A/R. http://www.amsperformance.dk/default.asp?ID=6&show=vare&vareid=899&varenr=5557 billet non T3&varegrp=82&page=1&name=vareliste

it is said that this turbo is something in between a gt3071 and gt35 but due to its billet compressor wheel it has a fairly quick spool up compared to other turbos and has very good top end power.
this turbo with the .48 a/r and AGU big port head should have a spool around 3700-4000rpm..

not convinced... looks like a journal bearing and has no water cooling... wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

<tuffty/>

yes tuffty your right, it is only oil cooled and I'm pretty sure it is a journal bearing turbo. I now that a water and oil cooled turbo is better but what is the downside of a oil cooled only turbo?

That combined with a journal bearing will lead to a short lived turbo especially in a high power configuration... S3's have an after run pump for a reason....

Hot turbo after a run (no matter how long you try and do a cool down run) will end up cooking the oil... this will eventually cause the journal bearing to fail prematurely....

Really not worth the risk IMO...

Water cooled and roller bearing turbo's like the Garrett GT range are the best solution tbh...

<tuffty/>

That combined with a journal bearing will lead to a short lived turbo especially in a high power configuration... S3's have an after run pump for a reason....

Hot turbo after a run (no matter how long you try and do a cool down run) will end up cooking the oil... this will eventually cause the journal bearing to fail prematurely....

Really not worth the risk IMO...

Water cooled and roller bearing turbo's like the Garrett GT range are the best solution tbh...

<tuffty/>

ok thanks for that info...:icon_thumright:
it really show how much you really love your gt3971....:)