Any help with my horn problem please?

sulaiman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Since I've had the car the horn hasn't worked and as I've found out driving without one is very dangerous as I seem to attract all the idiots on the road not abiding by the highway code.

Ive checked the horns by giving them a 12v power supply and both of them work, Ive checked the fuse and that is intact, Ive also swapped the horn relay for a working one and the horn still doesn't work.

I then bridged two of the terminals on the relay and the Horn armed, so I have narrowed the problem down to being between the steering wheel and the fusebox.

There is no voltage at any of the connectors at the steering wheel which is making me think that my airbag is not functioning? However there are no airbag warning lights that display on the clocks.

This is the fault code which shown up on VAG COM:

Address 35 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8D0 862 257 E
Component: CV-Pump, Alarm, RC D17
Coding: 15178
Shop #: WSC 06435
1 Fault Found:
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
76-10 - Terminal 30 missing - Intermittent

Any idea on what the problem could be? Anyone have some wiring diagrams I could follow up?

finally I also noticed these connectors behind the steering wheel which were not connected to anything, any idea what they are for?

28102009.jpg

Many thanks

Seems you have 2 problems, one is your steering wheel horn & the other is your alarm/locking unit, what year is your car & engine.

I did just think that fault code didn't match up to the problem I have with my horn when I posted that :(

The car is a 2001 Audi a3 TDi, ASV engine.

The alarm does work though, as it sounds when I leave the windows open and don't press the interior disarm switch.

Can you show me pic of the underside of airbag please, also clearer pic of the loom & slip ring connector, maybe back of a bit so its clearer then resize pic with crop to keep the res

try vso image resizer here:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/download-image-resizer.php

Do you have any dash lights to indicate airbag not working, there is a spade cnnector with no connection to it in that image, that should have a connector on this for maybe a ground as obviously the alum piece with teh labels on is the contact for the horn as such, as its not got anything connected then it would possibly indicate this is the problem

Also you you show a pic of the whole wheel from distance.

I'll get the pics requested with a digicam for you tomorrow, there are no dash lights indicating the airbag is not working.

The spade connector there is indeed for the horn, the wiring for this comes from the 5pin plug which is disconnected in the pic to get the airbag out of the way for further inspection.

The back of the airbag has one yellow plug connected to it which is part of the loom mentioned above which fits into the 5 pin connector. But I'll also get pics of this tomorrow.

I see a lot of threads on here when I search for info with no updates as and when the problem has been resolved so Ill update with my progress for anyone interested.

After gaining more confidence in taking the car apart, I traced the problem to be between the steering wheel and the wiring behind it. Using a multi-meter there was power to the steering angle sensor however no power at the slip ring where the wiring comes out to attach to the airbag/horn assembly.

I dissembled the steering angle sensor (SAS) and cleaned the insides with switch contact cleaner and also looked for any loose connections which I could resolder. After fitting it all back together it still didn’t work and my vag com also now showed the sensor as a failure.

I purchased a new SAS with the 1jo 959 654 AC part number replacing my 1jo 959 654 Q part, recoded it via vag com and reset the steering angle using the ross tech wiki.

The part was to blame for my horn, my drivers airbag and the ESP not functioning because it wouldn’t have provided it with a measurement. Upon replacement they all now work as they should and I’m ready for my MOT coming up.

I would have thought the last thing stopping my horn working would be this so gives anyone with the same problem an avenue to try.

HTH

edit:

p.s. the alarm horn fault code at the top of the thread must be an old problem that was stored in the ecu as the car now has no fault codes which is nice :)

Last edited:
I cant check the part atm, but take your word for it.

I'm very glad you came back & posted up further info even if your promise of pics wasnt fulfilled, nudge nudge.

But I do respect you for the follow up mate, well done as most just pee off & not a word about the solution, kudos, alot.

Honestly very good approach which helps others, not just yourself, members like you are hard to come by & very much needed on the forum.