Engine Mount

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
How easy/hard is it to change a gearbox mount (front) on an A3 Turbo?

Well, the question is, is it a garage job or reasonably DIY?

i'll answer all your questions bud!

Depends how good at diy your are.

No special tools needed really, good set of sockets, jack, axle stand and normal stuff.

Just a case of moving stuff out the way, airbox, hoses other crap.

Jack car up and support on axle stand. Loosen the mounting bolts and put jack under gearbox (piece of wood will help to spread the load) take the weight up and remove bolts. Swap mounts etc you get the point...

Haynes manual might be usefull though for reference if you not done alot of diy'ing

Thats because you're a top bloke! Glad you're online today! lol

Pretty handy to be fair, done all the work on the A3 myself so far, including all the pain in the **** bits (ARB & Turbo springing to mind here).

I'll give it a spin, I've done a couple of engine mounts in the past, I just didn't know if there were any nasty suprises lurking mid change which I should know about (ARB & Turbo springing to mind here. AGAIN.).

You should be fine then mate, turbos notorious pain in the a*se.

Just take you time and dont do anything daft like sitting under the gearbox whilst its not supported by the mount (believe me i seen some dumb things).

One other point make a visual note of how it lines up, even to the point of marking the old one before loosening the bolts and then copy the marks on to the new mount to be sure its in the right place.:thumbsup:

Like your work! I've seen some great things in the past too - see link http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/04/car-over-cliff.jpg.

Still, I'll order a mount up an see how it goes. Bit p*ssed off to be fair, engine mount being gone, and a heavy right foot have caused a dent in my nice new downpipe :-(. Still, such is life!

Will attack engine mount with a chainsaw and all will be well again....:eyebrows:

Like your work! I've seen some great things in the past too - see link http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/04/car-over-cliff.jpg.

Still, I'll order a mount up an see how it goes. Bit p*ssed off to be fair, engine mount being gone, and a heavy right foot have caused a dent in my nice new downpipe :-(. Still, such is life!

Will attack engine mount with a chainsaw and all will be well again....:eyebrows:

amazing!

Still as you say such is life!

There's a local numb nuts near me that drives a clio sport (must be on daddys insurance) that took a speed hump at 40 plus and left his engine and gearbox on the road! funnyest thing i've ever seen. Snapped all the mounts and pretty much totalled the car as the engine was buried under the car. haha

..... Sorry, was just getting up off the floor from the laughter. What a nobber! Still, they're all over the joint these days. I saw someone's Nova in a wall this morning where the handbrake had failed when parked on a hill. Not a good start to the weekend!

Off topic again, I bought a Corsa Redtop from a lad up in Leicester! A Carabic Blue one. Was a spot poorly... Not altogether sure how he'd managed to get it so wrong. I drove it back down the M5 and the ****** thing nearly killed me, track rod end and bottom ball joint retaining nuts were all finger tight. And I mean finger tight. It was like driving a jelly home!! Not good.

..... Sorry, was just getting up off the floor from the laughter. What a nobber! Still, they're all over the joint these days. I saw someone's Nova in a wall this morning where the handbrake had failed when parked on a hill. Not a good start to the weekend!

Off topic again, I bought a Corsa Redtop from a lad up in Leicester! A Carabic Blue one. Was a spot poorly... Not altogether sure how he'd managed to get it so wrong. I drove it back down the M5 and the ****** thing nearly killed me, track rod end and bottom ball joint retaining nuts were all finger tight. And I mean finger tight. It was like driving a jelly home!! Not good.

haha good times!

Never buy a car from leicester bud! 'One carefull lady owner'! yeah right!

Never again!! Took me ages to sort that motor out. And then it wasn't ever as fast as the one I had before.

Bad memories. Sold it to some Georgie in the end, the nutter drove down and drove it back!

Fair play, changing that mount was the easiest job in the world. Took 10 bleedin mins!! Was expecting a ball ache!!

Shibby!! :arco:

How come you replaced the engine mount. Only asking because im getting a knocking noise when changing gear and thought it may be some play in one of the mounts.

Thought I would mention, I bought a set of THS engine mounts...

20090904_CRW_3539.jpg

(ignore the exhaust wrap)

I used an offer code (SCNFR3CMP) and got £69 off the £199 price for all 3 mounts. Works out at £143 posted...

Link to product, enter the offer code as part of the checkout... just tried it and still works...
http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/product/FR3_Full_Engine_Mounting_System_THSFR3-CMP

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Stop tempting me lol. That a very good discount.

Would you say one my mounts are gone then. If im smooth with a gear change I wont hear a knock. When changing gears normal I get a knock sound around the passenger side and quite jerky gear changed. I had my dog bone mount looked at few weeks ago and that ok.

Difficult to say, sounds plausible.... the mounts are definately stiffer than the ones I took off and seem to handle the power my car puts out... there is a little more vibration on idle than normal but that just means that they are doing the job...

<tuffty/>

Ye do you get a smoother power delivery as the engine doesn't move as much.

Is there a way I would be able to tell if there gone by looking at them as I very much doubt il be able to move them to see if there is play there lol.

Difficult to tell as I changed them as part of my BT conversion so can't really compare but certainly not moving around that much with nearly 400bhp.

Test yours by putting the hand brake on and rev it letting the clutch out while someones watches the engine move about... should be obvious...

<tuffty/>

Yep, replaced mine due to a knock on gear change, especially 1st to 2nd.

Got a cheap and cheerful one from eBay, job done :)

Well mine knocks in most gears if im not smooth and I always have to take gears quite slowy as my box cannot be rushed.

Im going to try that test mentioned earlier and will replace the engine - gearbox mount as thats where the sound comes from.

Hi All,

I thought it best post here as it is exactly the same problem that I have. I had a slight rattle as I pull away, gear changes seemed to be ok, I thought it was the exhaust ratteling, but I found out last night this was not correct. I went over a speed bump and heard a bang (I was going slowly) obviously panic set in and I thought the Sump had fallen off. The whole car started vibrating! Got the car home much to the exitement of my wife (Vibrating car), opened up the bonnet and my engine had fallen down about 6 inches.

I have since looked at the car this morning, after jacking up the engine and notice 1 bolt had snapped in the mount and the other had sheard the mounts threads of (Screw still had thread).

Does anyone have any instructions on how to take this mount off, I have a haynes manual but can't find it in there.

Also do you think there will be any other damage? Doesn't look like it.

Thanks!

In addition to this having looked at it further it seems that the thread to the part of the engine is sheard (Where the mount secures the engine)... Oh dear!!! can this be fixed?

Hi, It was the drivers side that the bolt had snapped. I have now fixed it and ofr the first 50 miles the car sounded Lovely... Now my death rattle is back...

I spoke to a friend who gave me some worrying knowledge, What caused the bolt to snap.... ???

I am guessing something elsewhere has gone bad, or could it be the rubber part of the engine mount has given up? The whole mount is intact but could the rubber bit inside the mount have died? I do notice that my clearance under the car is not as high as it should be..... Also do you think that with the engine drop it has knocked my tracking out? I checked the tyre today and it is bald one side.

So I am thinking my solution is, new engine mounts and 1 new tyre?
Any advice would be good.

Hi, It was the drivers side that the bolt had snapped. I have now fixed it and ofr the first 50 miles the car sounded Lovely... Now my death rattle is back...

I spoke to a friend who gave me some worrying knowledge, What caused the bolt to snap.... ???

I am guessing something elsewhere has gone bad, or could it be the rubber part of the engine mount has given up? The whole mount is intact but could the rubber bit inside the mount have died? I do notice that my clearance under the car is not as high as it should be..... Also do you think that with the engine drop it has knocked my tracking out? I checked the tyre today and it is bald one side.

So I am thinking my solution is, new engine mounts and 1 new tyre?
Any advice would be good.

Thats a hard one to call without seeing it mate to be honest. Possible though.

Bolts normally snap when they are under lateral pressure to be honest. Have you got any excessive engine movement?

Hi Cheers for your quick response.. Not much movement in the engine to be honest... Not sure if this eliminates my previous theory...

Tomorrow, I will take some pics of the engine mounts and engine bay as the engine does seem to be a bit low for my liking.... Maybe I am just paranoid.