Want to sell, what is my car worth?

criztal

Reaction score
Hi guys

Well after a good run of 4 S3's in my time, im going back to an R32 or M3 ( which ive had also!)

So heres a quick rundown of the car, its just ive seen S3 prices all over the shop at the moment, so wanted to ask the question before i advertise!!

2001 S3 ("Y" reg)
Facelift version
Silver, with unmarked, not sagged out leather! Heated seats
Bose
Centre Armrest
80k miles
4 x brand new eagle F1s
Full Audi stamped history ( last service done 1 week ago)
2 previous owners

There is not a mark on the car, and has had cambelt change at 69k, with new pads and discs also at 75k, the car is totally standard, and running well, no problems at all

So what would u guys say my car is worth?

I'd of said £6Kish but its worth whatever someones willing to pay for it. If its a minter and someone has been hunting around for a good example with your spec then they will probably go higher.

Advertise for £7k and take best offer, though it's perhaps a bad time to sell anyways, so you'll probably get very little interest at this time of year.

Advertise for £7k and take best offer, though it's perhaps a bad time to sell anyways, so you'll probably get very little interest at this time of year.

I'd go with this.

FYI - I paid £6995 in August for a 2001 facelift Noggy, 61k, armrest, full leather (very good cond) & bose, completely standard with a few paint issues here and there.

well i bought mine last week and was hunting all the usual sites for about a month and going from what ive seen if yours is a 225 bhp then its worth about 7k because most of them have done 90 odd thousand miles plus.

thanks for the input guys, much appreciated, im going to start at £6750 and see how i go, im aware its not the best time to sell, but it is the best time to buy a convertible M3!

If anyone is interested on here, please send me a PM, ill get it on pistonheads over the weekend once ive given her a good wax and polish!

We bought my wifes Audi A3 1.8 T-Sport Quattro 2000 Xreg with 56000 miles and full stamped Audi History for £3500 back in February.
I know its a different car and not worth as much as an S3 but it makes me think yours isnt worth as much as you think!

We bought my wifes Audi A3 1.8 T-Sport Quattro 2000 Xreg with 56000 miles and full stamped Audi History for £3500 back in February.
I know its a different car and not worth as much as an S3 but it makes me think yours isnt worth as much as you think!

S3's ask a lot more than A3's due to quite a few reasons.

I think between £6500 and £7000 is pretty fair for a minter with a full Audi history. Especially considering the cost of one nearly 3 years ago when I got my A3...you'd be looking at 9K ish for one back then...which is why I'm stuck with an A3 and not an S3 :laugh:

Its done 30000 more miles and your saying its worth double the price that my wifes was 8 months ago!
I cant see that personally.

Its done 30000 more miles and your saying its worth double the price that my wifes was 8 months ago!
I cant see that personally.

I can, its a whole lot more car than an A3. Plus, add that is a much rarer car then that ups the value.

I decent S3 with good history is worth FAR more than an A3.

T

Still dont see that value, I only paid £9500 for my E46 2002 M3 with 68000 miles in April!
A rarer car that is more sought after and has a higher value than an S3!

Still dont see that value, I only paid £9500 for my E46 2002 M3 with 68000 miles in April!
A rarer car that is more sought after and has a higher value than an S3!

I will hold my breath rather than crack any "look at the sort of people that drive em jokes":jester:

I will hold my breath rather than crack any "look at the sort of people that drive em jokes":jester:

LMAO, so if I was to offer you my M3 for your S3 you would say no?
Not that I would in a million years!

adam you clearly dont apply logic to your thinking..... cars follow a trend which is the market..... you cannot put an A3 up against an S3 in terms of pricing..... they may aswell be chalk and cheese from a trader perspective

so yes..... your wifes A3 for £3500 may have been cheap...it may not have been... either way S3's fetch the money we're talking...i havent seen one S3 go for less than 4k yet and that includes the oldest S3's on the planet 2 years older than yours

and an M3 is more sought after than an S3? hmmm, wonder where you get that logic...the S3 is far rarer.... the S3 is a lot less car in terms of size..... i think the prices are relative.....

do yourself a favour, look beyond the rose tinted glasses...i used to be a car trader years ago which is probably why i understand better than most...but what you talk is pure ignorance

Ok well if thats the case then fair enough, just on face value it seemed expensive but if thats what they go for then who am I to argue.
I was just trying to offer some input but I guess it was irrelevant input.

no worries Adam.... just fact mate...not trying to nail ya down just cos i have one :)

damn that jeremy clarkson for the RS4 jibe :) that said that is definately on my 'to do' list :)

I think its easily worth 7000 at least, sounds a nice1, cambelt done etc,

The thing is look on pistonheads still some at 9,500+ low milage 03 plates then some alot lower, pre face lifts high milage, etc so there is a big difference in price, But like westle says it depends on the buyer,E46 M3's can be had under 10,000 now too,

Joking apart my wifes A3 is a superb car and Im sure the S3 is a much much better car, I love Audi's but I just think a lot of people have high expectations with regards to what their cars are worth at the moment.
I have said the same on the M3 forum as a lot of people there think their cars are worth far more than they are in reality.

the problem is, is the car prices became so undervalued...they are now rebalancing(going up in some cases - trade).... trouble is with an M3, the running costs dont help it rebalance as most cars..... factor in the scrappage scheme and you see another cloud which can impact used values in several ways....

whos knows whats going to happen, all i know is, a car is worth what someone is willing to pay

im trying to sell an excellent cond mini one at the minute with huge spec and immacualte...its the cheapest 'One' around...yet it isnt selling, partly due to the xmas lull approaching, my plan is to wait for the usual january rush

loads have offered me 1k under what im asking but then im in no rush to 'give' the car away and so will hold out for a proper buyer rather than someone trying to make a trader profit on me - all you can do if your not in a rush is price it very well against whats already out there - if your in a rush then im afraid your at the mercy of a buyer

the problem is, is the car prices became so undervalued...they are now rebalancing(going up in some cases - trade).... trouble is with an M3, the running costs dont help it rebalance as most cars..... factor in the scrappage scheme and you see another cloud which can impact used values in several ways....

whos knows whats going to happen, all i know is, a car is worth what someone is willing to pay

im trying to sell an excellent cond mini one at the minute with huge spec and immacualte...its the cheapest 'One' around...yet it isnt selling, partly due to the xmas lull approaching, my plan is to wait for the usual january rush

loads have offered me 1k under what im asking but then im in no rush to 'give' the car away and so will hold out for a proper buyer rather than someone trying to make a trader profit on me - all you can do if your not in a rush is price it very well against whats already out there - if your in a rush then im afraid your at the mercy of a buyer

Very well put points, I would have to agree with all of the above.

Seems to me like you got a good deal on your wifes A3 and your M3...

Been looking for an A3 1.8t for my gf, fwd's with 100k+ still go for in excess of 3k, I think you got a bargain getting a quattro A3 with only 56k at 3.5k, I'd of snapped it up had I seen it...

Same as the M3, low mileage on an 02 plate for 9.5k again seems like a bargain...

Seems to me like you got a good deal on your wifes A3 and your M3...

Been looking for an A3 1.8t for my gf, fwd's with 100k+ still go for in excess of 3k, I think you got a bargain getting a quattro A3 with only 56k at 3.5k, I'd of snapped it up had I seen it...

Same as the M3, low mileage on an 02 plate for 9.5k again seems like a bargain...

Well I bought both privately, A3 from Pistonheads and M3 from the Autotrader.
To be fair the Audi had been sat on the guys drive for 3 months and needed some tlc to make it nice again.
The M3 needed a couple of tyres and a service and which is why it was such a good price, but I spent a fair while looking for both cars on Pistonheads and Autotrader. The A3 was actually advertised at £4995! and the M3 £11200! I text both asking how low they were prepared to go first before I went to view.
So it just shows how desperate some people are to get rid!

Last edited:
Well I bought both privately, A3 from Pistonheads and M3 from the Autotrader.
To be fair the Audi had been sat on the guys drive for 3 months and needed some tlc to make it nice again.
The M3 needed a couple of tyres and a service and which is why it was such a good price, but I spent a fair while looking for both cars on Pistonheads and Autotrader. The A3 was actually advertised at £4995! and the M3 £11200! I text both asking how low they were prepared to go first before I went to view.
So it just shows how desperate some people are to get rid!

£1500 off the asking price of the A3 is impressive, obviously 5k is a bit steep...I'm always on autotrader and pistonheads 'daily' looking for a car for the missus, i may have seen the A3 you bought but would of bypassed it as they were asking so much...

Got a good deal there !

I've said this before in another article. It's one thing looking at what people want for their cars and another thing what they actually get....unfortunately. Years ago (I do mean years ago), when I was trying to sell my bmw for about 3K I had a valuation showing £5k. Couldn't sell it for months, along came mr B out of a side turning and crashed lightly into the side of me and wrote the car off. Got a cheque for £5K from the insurance company immediately - agreed value insurance - Thanks you very much.
To get a real idea of car pricing - visit car auctions, not that you will find many S3's.

I'm always on autotrader and pistonheads 'daily' looking for a car for the missus, i may have seen the A3 you bought but would of bypassed it as they were asking so much...

Leggy you should view a few cars just out of your price range, its amazing what people will take at this time of year when offered cold hard cash!

Matt

On a slightly different note, Tim were you out side TGI Friday's saturday night, sat at the lights with a black S3 behind you?

Leggy you should view a few cars just out of your price range, its amazing what people will take at this time of year when offered cold hard cash!

Matt

Yeah obviously...lol

see if I priced a car for sale I'd have a good idea what I would drop to...

It's about pricing correctly in the first place, see he bought the A3 for 3.5k but it was advertised at 5k, if the seller would of priced it more reasonable, say at roughly £4150, they would of had more interest and would of probably got more than 3.5k that they did get...

I always view a car thinking I could get a few hundred quid off, not 1.5k off 5k...because they had over priced in the first place they grew desperate with no offers and took what came along...

Yeah just re-read my post does seem pretty obvious lol,
What I ment was theres no harm in making silly offers and being cheeky whats the worst they could say? people do get desperate at this time of year,

Matt

Animal, i bought my car last year for £6000, how much do you think that trader would of made off me.. it still gives me the creeps today that my dad didnt haggle him down :( I should of been stronger, bought it in the rough patch too.

Yeah just re-read my post does seem pretty obvious lol,
What I ment was theres no harm in making silly offers and being cheeky whats the worst they could say? people do get desperate at this time of year,

Matt

Yeah I hear what your saying mate, I suppose it comes down to peoples circumstances, some people won't budge from there asking price and other people will drop like crazy, may have to have a few punts around the festive period...lol:icon_thumright: