Over the winter...

Jacko4130

Goodie Gum Drops
Reaction score
Over the winter i will be sorting my S3 out as its a little worse for wear, have a few questions for anyone who has done this work

Dropping the engine, i take it the engine drops below the car and not out from the top, will be leaving the box and transfer box on when i drop it, i know the subframe will need removing but is the any other tips for this?

Do i need to remove the radiator when dropping the engine or can i get away with just taking the hose's off

Have removed the 2 intercoolers and fitting a front mount, can i get away with removing the bottom steel hard pipe or do i need to leave it in place?

I'm sure i'll have more questions over the next few days

Cheers Jacko

Have removed the 2 intercoolers and fitting a front mount, can i get away with removing the bottom steel hard pipe or do i need to leave it in place?

... I left mine on as there are things 'attached' to it and I couldn't be bothered making up replacement brackets or didn't want things flapping about so I left it on.

As it bolts across the front chassis legs you could argue it 'braces' the front a bit too..

<tuffty/>

I took mine out from the front after taking the front end off. was easiest way to be honest.

Need to change clutch, turbo and cambelt

Seems like a quicker/better idea than working with no space

I took mine out from the front after taking the front end off. was easiest way to be honest.

Makes sense, have got a crane so coming out the front wont be a problem, only reason i ask all this is after spending most of a day shoe horning a pulsar engine out we then asked a few questions and found out it came out from the underside of the car.

... I left mine on as there are things 'attached' to it and I couldn't be bothered making up replacement brackets or didn't want things flapping about so I left it on.

As it bolts across the front chassis legs you could argue it 'braces' the front a bit too..

<tuffty/>

I don't mind making brackets for the hoses etc etc its just the stiffness i worry about, wanted to fine someone that has removed there's to see if they can notice any difference?

Well it was a lad from JBS autodesigns that worked with me on mine and thats how he said was best,
We did take the box off too as it was easier to refit the box to the engine on the bench than once in the confined space of the bay.

Have had the box off the car in the engine bay before and it was a pig, hence why i want to remove the lot and have some space like you say.