Fuel gauge problem... need help!!!

kularm

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My car spent 9 months in storage (225bhp 8l s3) and as soon as it came out i had new filters (part of service), timing belt, water pump, clutch and just this week had a new fork fitted into the gearbox because it wouldnt change gear... since it came out of the shop on monday ive had a big problem which im worrying about:

tuesday, 10 miles left in the tank so put a tenner in, that changed it to 55 miles. did about 15 miles and ended up at home with 40 miles on the clock. this morning started it up and while i waited for it to warm up in the space of a minute it went from 40 > 30 > 25 > 15 > 5, i worried so i went to the petrol station to put a fiver in to see if that helped, it went back upto 35 miles.

then this evening (still wednesday) i started the car after going to training and it showed 0 miles, I put a tenner in and it went to 45 miles. got home now on 35 miles left.

Why is it moving around so erratically? Im not driving it fast at all, in fact very economically and I only run it on shell optimax... Im worrying cause Ive spent near 1500-2000 in the last two weeks and I cant be dealing with another huge repair... whats wrong? I could use a VAG-COM which im aiming to but just wondered if u guys had any ideas??!!! cheers

:faint:

Hi, I had a similar problem on my 2002 S3. I left it woth 40 miles remaining, fired it up the following day and it said 0 miles, put a fiver in, made no difference, put another fiver in and went up to 30 ish (can't remember), eventually when I filled right up it was ok, think the computer was getting confused or the needle was stuck. Good luck.

Was the battery flat from when you stored it? Or did you disconnect it?
Either way it's probably the ECU re adapting to driving style etc, mine did it when i collected it asfter it being flat, and when some numptie(me) left the interior light on. Do not worry unless it continues

Thanks for the replies guys, erm when i took it out of storage i literally changed everything that could be changed, all filters, oils, liquids and also the battery. Its been working fine last two weeks just the last two-three days its been going loopy! any more help would be appreciated guys, it hasnt done me over today but i dont want to jinx it lol!

The mileage indicator w*nk's, there so unpredicabtle, i wouldnt wurry too much, mines always up and down.